Sunday 1 November 2020

Some actual wargaming

Yes, last week I got some actual wargaming in against a real life opponent that I'm not related to. Admittedly via Zoom, but it was a proper game. The estimable Max Foy invited me to participate in a Peninsular War game against prolific blogger, Stryker, using Max's Command and Colors Napoleonic 'Ramekin' variant. The good count was umpire/gamesmaster, dice roller and anecdotist. I will never look at a chocolate on a hotel pillow again without chuckling. Stryker took the part of Wellesley and I was Marshall Masséna.

I have used these rules once before (and their ECW cousin) and they are very easy to pick up. I had to ask for a few clarifications as we played the game, but the game fairly tripped along. The clarifications were more to do with me not having command of the detail than any lack of clarity in the writing. The actions and results of combat were plausible even if there were some surprises (mais c'est la guerre) along the way.

The battle was Fuentes de Oñoro, something that I'm not overly familiar with. The set-up was great (I suspect huge amount of work went into the scenario design, planning and preparation) and the guys were both gents and a pleasure to wargame with. I have no pictures, but if you haven't seen it already, I commend Max's post on the game here.



9 comments:

  1. This looked like an enjoyable game. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely looking game and great that you were able to have some virtual FtF gaming:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. As we head into Lockdown II (“and this time it’s Fall”) it’s great to have that contact.

      Delete
  3. Glad you had a game and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It came at just the right time too. My mood was going down with everything that’s going on in the Real World.

      Delete
  4. It was indeed a very good game and the see-saw battle for the town was gripping. Glad you enjoyed it, the Zoom set up is the next best thing to actually being in front of Tony's table in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a real attritional battle wasn’t it! In the end I just had more infantry and guns in the area and the battered units were screened by the built-up area. One stable British unit on my side of the stream and they’d have fallen like nine pins.

      Delete
  5. I caught up with Tony's report of the game and it looked a real beauty. Congratulations are in order too?! :)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It looked a brilliant display didn’t it.

      Delete