Saturday 7 November 2020

Tuntematon Sotilas/Unknown Soldier Review

I’ve blathered on about one of my favourite war films/books before (Tuntematon Sotilas/Unknown Soldier). If you have nothing better to do, maybe you’d be interested in hearing someone with some relevant experience talk about the same subject. I came across this last night. It’s one of those “reaction videos” that seem to proliferate on YouTube and it’s rather long for that genre at 47 minutes.

https://youtu.be/WCxuVg_NlzU

The presenter (a US Marine veteran) makes some interesting points from a soldier’s point of view. He also makes some insightful comments about it being a story about people and relationships and not a “war film” (it still is that as well thrill seekers). I found myself nodding along to his comments at many points. And found myself welling-up again at the scenes at Rokka’s farm.

Only quibble is I couldn’t see any subtitles on the little pop-up screen of the movie. This wasn’t always essential to the point he was making. But it did remind me of how little Finnish I do actually understand. On which point I’ve got a lesson I must prepare for.  Nähdään!

No comments:

Post a Comment