Friday 6 November 2020

Regime change

So Lockdown II has kicked in. The 4 weeks from (remember, remember) 5 November to 2 December will see a new nationwide lockdown here in the UK. This time the regime is far more liberal than it was in the Spring, a double-edged sword in my mind, but it's a difficult balancing act.

This has an immediate impact on my exercise plans. The pool has shut for the duration. Let me re-phrase that, the open-air pool has shut. I'm going to miss it, particularly on days like Wednesday when the weather was cold but with beautiful blue skies. I sat and had lunch on the cafe roof terrace after my swim. Then after soaking up the sun I soaked up the sounds of people swimming as I walked around the pool (observing the one-way system) to the exit. It's odd what catches the attention. On Wednesday it was the realisation that I would miss that sound. There's nothing quite like the noise of people swimming or playing around in water outside. Indoors it's quite an unpleasant sound, but outdoors it becomes the opposite.

Taken a couple of months ago when the weather was warmer, but not too dissimilar to how it looked on Wednesday. I couldn't get the whole 36m length of the pool in the shot. It's an odd length (40 yards when built in the 1930s) which must make it tricky for people training for competitive swims as they will be used to turning after a shorter distance than you would in a 50m pool.

This was the thing I missed most about Lockdown. Almost the only thing in fact. I never truly appreciated how much until it re-opened on a beautiful day in July. The other thing I'm missing now is going to football matches. Sure I can, and do watch them streamed live - in fact I'm able to get to see more games than I normally would. But much of the pleasure comes from meeting friends and acquaintances. Even just seeing people that you're only on nodding terms with. And also, those occasions when you feel part of something bigger. That for me is the extent of my 'hardship' in all of this*. Another reminder that my life is blessed.

* Subject to me or someone close not catching the virus and getting really ill.

8 comments:

  1. Let's just hope people observe the rules and we can get back to some semblance of normality in December.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was most taken with the Lido in Penzance when I was there last year, a beautiful building trying hard to take itself forward. I’m a non swimmer but can see what people really get out of it.
    I miss my volunteering and the contacts with former colleagues, charges and their families that comes with it. That chance to make time for individuals who can have extra support through me and their confidence built up. Haven’t been there since mid March. I miss my trips on the train and the nodding to fellow regulars and seeing folk I know en route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried the lido at PZ. It looks spectacular. But I often wonder why have a swimming pool when there's a perfectly good sea on the doorstep. An exception is the tidal pool at Bude, as the waves make it difficult to keep to a regular stroke.

      Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for normal social contact again.

      Delete
  3. All the best for the coming month. I hope that you'll be able to play out some of your wonderful games and post about them here.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I need to get my dining room straight again after kitchen works (which are dragging on). In the meantime I'm going to crack on with prepping my AWI forces. Watch this space!

      Delete
  4. Best wishes in your Lockdown 2.0. Try to find alternates in your exercise regimen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I'm in danger of going off the boil exercise wise. I keep telling myself 'tomorrow'. More cycling is on the agenda - I have a hilly circuit nearby - but I also need to do something to keep my arms and upper body in trim for when the pool re-opens.

      Delete