Sunday 12 July 2020

Re-fight of the Battle of Kluis

Yesterday evening (Friday), I had the pleasure of re-fighting the little known Battle of Kluis 1808. Not wishing to sound like a name-dropper, the game was played via Zoom with the estimable Max Foy. Naturally the rules used were the Ramekin version of Command and Colors Napoleonic.

Having had a couple of brief solo games last weekend with Tony's ECW version of C&C, it was relatively simple to pick up the Napoleonic rules. There were similarities in the basic structure of the game, but with enough period touches to give it a distinctly different feel. I have to say it is a cracking game to play. It's probably been said before, but C&C is deceptively simple but challenging and with enough subtlety to make a really interesting game. I don't think you forgo much in the way of 'realism' in return for the apparent simplicity. In fact because the turns come round quickly, if anything the speed makes it more 'realistic' than games with lots of micromanagement and admin. I'm a convert.

I started off the game with a map version of the table layout but soon discarded this as it was easy to see the positions on the screen. I think the whole game itself took around 3 1/2 hours, which isn't bad considering I was a beginner and Tony had to spend a lot of time describing what was happening, patiently walking through all the factors and dice rolls and explaining what I could do in certain circumstances when I wasn't sure. In fact he was a fabulous host, even pointing out ways I could improve my chances by changing my orders. Having raced to a 4 Victory Points to nil lead, he took pity on me and went over to the offensive allowing me to catch up and snatch an unlikely, narrow win. At the end it spun on the roll of the dice for initiative, but for which the game could have easily gone the other way.

A big thank you to Mein Host. A true gent of wargaming. More power to your elbow sir!


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your victory and Tony’s kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. The game’s the thing.

      Delete
  2. Glad you had an enjoyable game. I played dba on Friday as usual. Our host moves everything etc why my fellow general and I discuss our army and what to do. Our host plays the opposition. He works so hard to remind us of what troops are where and the distance betwixt them as the camera angle is so deceptive. It is hard work for him but he is more than willing to do this. Without him it would be impossible. So here’s a great big Huzzah to all Zoom/Skype etc hosts everywhere for helping us game in strange days.

    ReplyDelete