Thursday 2 July 2020

Symbols and Discretion

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-53249645

Whilst idling earlier I came across this article in the Google news feed on my phone. I’ve long been aware of the use of the swastika in the Finnish armed forces (with no links to Nazis or similar movements). It looks like it’s finally being dropped. No fanfare. No big statements. Just quietly getting on with things. I like that.

There are links in that BBC article to the very ancient and venerable use of the swastika symbol in many countries, including throughout Europe. One example in Ukraine massively predates Hinduism in India even. How about 15,000 years ago.

There’s also a link to an archived BBC article about a covert operation in 1940 to fly 12 Bristol Blenheims to Finland during the Winter War. This adventure included a return trip to Blighty for the RAF crews in a JU52!

4 comments:

  1. I did know about the non Nazi swastika use in Finland, didn't know about the Blenheims though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d read that we supplied some Blenheims but never knew, or thought about, how they got there.

      I think there were also some Hurricanes supplied after the Winter War. With German supplies planes, some of those Brewster planes and captured Soviet planes (shot down and repaired!), the Finns had a pretty heterogeneous air park.

      Delete
  2. Interesting, I have read of the upset caused by visitors to a Hindu temple who did not recognise that the symbol carved in stone was ancient. They wanted to liberate the symbol from its association and try to tell others of it’s ancient past. They had a hard job. I had known of Finnish useage before not to mention the use in Rome on shields and embroidery on clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The early use in Europe was news to me. If I’d seen it in anything I’d have just assumed it was a random pattern and a coincidence. Shows what I know! 😆

      Delete