Sunday 3 December 2023

Where is Grouchy?

The Google app on my phone occasionally gets it right. More often the algorithm makes unwarranted assumptions about what may tickle my fancy. This one (link below) hit the sweet spot.

It’s a video on YouTube by a group of American gamers who traveled to Belgium and re-run the Prussian-Grouchy side of the 18th June battles. The French decide to ignore their orders and march to the sound of the guns. A ‘what if’ on the actual ground……and a tabletop wargame to follow.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=12GsPI6LOWQ

PS I have just been reminded by James on the Chauvinistic Blog, and by the Librarian Gamer, that yesterday (Sat 2 December) was the anniversary of Austerlitz. I spent most of yesterday travelling to, and back from, the outskirts of Oxford to see a defeat in very similar weather conditions to the Battle of the Three Emperors. Fog and frost. Brr! At least the loss wasn’t Napoleonic in scale, and we lost no one in carp ponds. Spirits were raised by a daft yet deft re-working of Last Christmas.

6 comments:

  1. I've been watching Mark's Games Room videos for some time now, since they were flagged up by the Little Wars TV chaps. I really enjoy them and as one would expect from a chap who has produced documentaries etc, they are extremely well put together.

    The next video after this one is good too, as it looks at what Bonaparte could actually see of the battlefield from his three known positions on the day, but also by tweaking the shot to show the 3X magnification that the telescope would have afforded the user. Very enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that second one pop up. Will have a look later.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Like Steve, I have seen a few of Mark's videos. Mark recently reviews the movie Napoleon too.

      Delete
    3. I’ll add that to the list.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link Chris. I did a quick preview and was really impressed with the production qualities. Amazing. I'll watch it (and no doubt others) later as part of 'paintertainment'!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Paintertainment’ I like it!
      Chris

      Delete