Thursday 7 December 2023

Spanish/Sardinians update

Supplies rolled in over the past few days. First the MDF bases from Pendraken, then the figures themselves from Heroics and Ros, and on Wednesday the additional magnetic paper and magnets I needed.

Here are the figures: 8 brigades’ worth of line infantry, 1 of grenadiers, 3 of artillery and 1 of cavalrym. Plus a few spares. As these will be matched with equivalent numbers of French (the Spanish) and Austrians (the Sardinians), this will give me a total of 18 infantry and 2 cavalry brigades. Not including the 2 Spanish cavalry brigades ready to use.



The picture shows the figures prior to preparation for undercoating. I.E. before the little tags were clipped off and the stands filed flat. They were undercoated on Wednesday morning before work. I need to decide which units I want to paint. Specifically, which ones will be ‘native’ regiments for the respective armies in white coats, and which ones will be foreign regiments (usually blue or red).

Also in the work queue are the supplies for making poplar trees. It can’t be Italy without lines of poplar trees right?* I know roughly how I will make them but there will be a few failed attempts before I hit the right method.

* incidentally if anyone knows whether or not Lombardy poplars were used in the 18th century in the same way we associate with northern Italy today, let me know. I know they were first introduced in Britain in 1752, so that’s a pretty good sign. I must look harder at contemporary artworks.

That just leaves me to make a decision on sourcing appropriate style buildings.

Until the next update, arrivederci!

17 comments:

  1. You took a dive into the deep end by building both Spanish and Sardinian armies. Geronimo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't do oner without doing the other. Actually, that's not technically true, but I may as well!

      Delete
  2. Impressive accumulation of troops, I need to get some cypress done for my Italian wars, incidentally jow long has Boris Johnson been a Grimsby Town supporter?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't remind me! He's not, unsurprisingly. It's just the idiot of a local MP up there gave him the hat. How embarrassing.
      Re: trees - see Neil's response below.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to seeing these painted and in action.
    Can't help with the trees other than JOB painted the young Napoleon in Italy and there are poplar trees in the background. However, artistic license etc. may need to be taken into account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. Looks like Neil has the answer below.

      Delete
  4. Cypress trees were cultivated in Etruscan times, but the rows (as windbreaks) were Renaissance ideals of "picturesque" . They are also planted in groves as "bird traps" coated with a sticky substance.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never ceases to amaze me, the knowledge in this community. Thanks for the info Neil. So they're Cypresses not poplars? Looks like I've been barking up the wrong tree!

      Delete
  5. Good stuff - this is the power of 6mm, whole armies in one fell swoop and will be 'table ready' pretty dam' quick! One of these days I will get some - 1860s Europe could be fun. Who do you buy the magnetic strips and steel paper from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First for Magnets is who I use. Haven’t shopped around for years though.
      https://www.first4magnets.com/
      H&R do a FPW range and Irregular do that plus Italians for the liberation wars. Baccus do both plus Austro-Prussian War. You could always add in Union troops in kepis as Danes for the 1864 war too!

      Delete
  6. Those mini figures do look surprisingly detailed Chris - I look forward to seeing them painted and based!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they are. And anatomically they are well proportioned considering the scale. The detail on Baccus figures stands out more but they are chunkier.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Lots of little men to work on 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I’ll be able to crack on with them this weekend.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Good to see them all layed out and ready for the next stage etc. I think I would find them too small for me to paint these days, but they do give such an excellent visual look for linear warfare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My philosophy is that as you go down the scales you paint less detail, since in theory it doesn’t matter.
      Chris

      Delete