Monday 11 December 2023

Further Sardinian and Spanish Update

This weekend I reckon I put in about 7 hours painting the recent arrivals. This is not counting the prep time earlier in the week and black undercoating spraying on Friday morning. 2 hours alone on clipping and filing the bases and getting the little chaps organised in units. All told about 10 hours. Quite a lot but I've completed 4 brigades of infantry and got another 4 brigades 50% done. A surprising amount of the time was taken on deciding which units to paint.

The original plan when I put in the order to Heroics and Ros was to do 6 brigades of Spanish infantry and 2 of Sardinian. Even with my plan to double up using Austrians as proxies, on further reading, this was not going to be enough Sardinian. So I decided to do 4 Sardinian brigades (I keep wanting to write Piedmontese*) and obviously only 4 Spanish brigades.

*the state led by the Dukes of Savoy included the Italian province of Piedmont, as well as Savoy, gained the Kingdom of Sardinia in the period after the WSS. So it was a bit like the Electors of Brandenburg gaining their royal title from a remote territory (i.e. Prussia). The French speaking region of Savoy (on the 'French' side of the Alpine watershed) ended up as part of France as a result of the wars of the 19th century. The French speaking Aosta valley and what I guess were also French speaking areas (Sestrierre, Oulx), on the Italian side of the divide, are part of the modern state of Italy. Whilst Italian seems to be the main spoken language in the other areas, locals in Aosta still mainly speak a French patois which has a protected status. Sorry, disappeared down a rabbit hole there.



First up are the following regiments: Guardie (blue coats), Roy (Swiss also in blue), Marina (red with green) and Reydt (Swiss in red with blue). Flags are attempts at replicating the real unit colours - very tricky with the Swiss particularly!


Next are 2 regiments of the National Ordinance - Savoia (white with blue) & Piemonte (white with red); and 2 of Provincial regiments - Aosta (white with red) and Torino (white with blue)**. The Provincials were like part-time units, trained but only called up fully during war. A bit like the contemporary Prussian cartoonists, but not integrated into full-time regiments. Again, flags are based on the real ones - these pretty much simple affairs of white crosses on red backgrounds - they are meant to be more square, but these are folded on flags that I didn't feel confident in cutting down. As a result they have a Danish look to them. The Provincial flags are the simplest of all.

** I picked Aosta and Savoia because one of the appealing things to me of this period is the dearth of linguistic nationalism. Piemonte are in, because the French also have an old regiment named for that region. And Torino for no better reason than the most skilful player I've ever seen turn out for Grimsby used to play for Torino.

At this stage they all look rather dull because of the black paint on the bases, a result of the undercoating spray. The figures are also more spread out than they will be when properly based - each regiment will be on a separate 60x30mm base, with 2 regiments making a brigade.

Just for balance, so the Bourbonistas out there don't feel put out, here is the Spanish. All that's remaining are the regimentals (turn backs, cuffs, hat lace etc). Units have been selected - predominantly white-coated non-foreign regiments. I'm keeping the flags simple this time by doing the Ordinance colours - the red Burgundian cross.



Once that lot is done, I'll do the Sardinian cavalry, and a base each of Spanish and Sardinian grenadiers. I also have 2 bases worth of horse grenadiers which I'm considering converting to dragoons by chopping their bearskins down. Hmmm!

Oh, and a final word on source for the Sardinian uniforms and colours: Jonathan Freitag sent me the following, which also includes information on the earlier 18th century too:

16 comments:

  1. You continue making short work of fielding these armies. Oh, I still call them “Piedmontese.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are coming along in splendid fashion!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get going I tend to motor on. It just takes a long time to make the initial decision.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you need to order some more just to cover all bases.....
    *Megalomania* you know it makes sense....☺
    BTW the text autocorrect seems to have changed what I assume was meant to be "cantonists" to "cartoonists" .....as much as this amuses my anti-Prussian bias I dread to think what passes for a Prussian cartoon....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😆 I like the sound of Prussian cartoonists.
      And I was coming round to the idea of ‘needing’ to order some more.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Thats great progress, Chris, in the time it's taken you to paint half an army, I have done 14 x 28mm Blitzkrieg Germans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but your Germans bear close examination Keith.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Well you have been a busy bee Chris! They look good already and as you rightly say, will look less 'dull' once based and flocked. I too find the hard part starting a project or batch of painting, but once in the groove so to speak, it all generally moves along at a nice old pace:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hard part for me is deciding what to do. Which war/theatre/armies then how many will I need, can I justify the cost etc. once the order is placed I find nd it easy to crack on at pace because I actually enjoy the creative process (limited though it is).
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Great progress, I enjoyed the rabbit hole and was also taken with the Prussian cartoonist units"steady, steady, front rank satire, second rank ridicule!" or something like that?!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Neil mentioned it, I pictured a a monocled type, big moustache in a Pickelhaube, at his drawing desk.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Great progress. Enjoyed the tangents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you did Richard. It’s all part of what I enjoy about wargaming/history. All the quirks and messy arrangements that you get in countries that surprise you.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Excellent progress: wish I could go anywhere near as fast! I really like that uniform/flag source from Jon F - and a nice reference to the battle he has currently on the table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great resource isn’t it! As well as the obvious utility to us wargamers, it’s a chance to learn a bit of Italian. Though I don’t know how often you need to know the word for ‘waistcoat’, much less ‘turn backs’.
      Chris

      Delete