Thursday 14 December 2023

Sardinian and Spanish infantry update

I've completed the 8 units of infantry that I started at the weekend. In the pipeline next are the Spanish and Sardinian grenadiers and Sardinian cavalry, and artillery for both. By my reckoning I'm about 2/3 of the way through the models I bought recently.

In my rush to get an order off, I didn't think about general staff figures. Whoops! But I was able to quickly rectify this oversight by raiding my supplies of Austrian and Prussian generals, which I had in abundance.

Below, I present the infantry of the armies of the kings of Spain and Sardinia.

Spanish infantry

The following table shows the units I based them on. Uniform information came courtesy of Kronoskaf SYW pages, so they might be wrong for the War of the Austrian Succession. They were picked because of their service in Italy during the WAS, but also the uniform regimentals.

Regiment

Coat

Breeches

Waistcoat

Turnbacks

Cuffs

Hat lace

Reina

Dark blue

Dark blue

Dark Red

Dark Red

Dark Red

Silver

Asturias

White

White

Light blue

White

Light blue

Gold

Granada

White

White

White

White

Black

Gold

Toledo

White

White

Blue

White

Blue with white stripe

Gold

Africa

White

White

Blue

White

Blue

Silver

Galicia

White

White

Red

White

Red

Gold

Burgos

White

White

White

White

Red

Gold

Lombardia

White

White

White

White

Red

Silver


Below are the following Sardinian regiments (front to back):
  • Guardie & Roi (Swiss)
  • Savoia & Piemonte  (both Ordinanza nazionale)
  • Marina (Ord.naz.) & Reydt (Swiss)
  • Aosta & Torino (Reggimenti provinciali)

During the war, the Sardinian army grew to 54 battalions, including the provincials, but excluding the militia. Battalion paper strength grew from a peacetime establishment of 600, to 800 by 1747. This lot below is meant to represent 16 battalions, which can be matched with 'proxies' to double up to 32. In addition there were 9 cavalry and dragoon regiments, but I don't know how many squadrons/men there were per regiment. With respect to the militia, when I get round to it, I'm thinking of basing them up in open order. In their home country they seem to have been used in a light infantry role, conducting petit guerre and denying resources to the enemy, though I believe some participated in the line at Madonna dell Olmo.


Unlike the Spanish (for whom I had no unit colour guides) I attempted to paint the Sardinian flags based on the unit colours. A bit messy! 

I'll aim to complete the horse, guns and grenadiers at the weekend.


28 comments:

  1. Chris, you are making very fast work of these armies. Looking good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. My wife is mildly amused by the whole thing.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Very nice Chris! Great to see a plan coming together 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ben. I love it when a plan comes together.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Thats definitely one of several advantages of this smaller scale - getting so many units done in a few days, and they look very nice too, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but when you’re a megalomaniac like me it’s a good scale.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Coming along very nicely indeed. You are racing through this . I look forward to seeing the guns and cavalry too.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Alan. I doubt I’ll get much more done before Sunday.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Well, you really have got the bit between your teeth on this Chris! The units look great and lookign forward to seeing the next batch:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comment Steve.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. It's all coming together nicely Chris. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. It’s really a satisfying process.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Good progress with those armies. Sadly have never "got on" with 1:300 whether painting or playing. I understand the attraction and the advantages, just don't have the "feel" for them for gaming.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely see where you’re coming from Neil. I’ve always been drawn to the classic Imagination approach to gaming, but space was always a problem. And those Spencer Smiths look difficult to paint.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Nicely done I have wondered about some 6mm armies in the future so some food for thought 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. What period would you go for if you did take the plunge?
      Chris

      Delete
    2. I have been thinking about Naps in 6mm for a long time but am still progressing the 28mm Peninsular at the moment, perhaps one day ?

      Delete
    3. Well, if you’re interested in acquiring an Anglo-Portuguese-Spanish army (painted and based Baccus) they could be available for a reasonable £.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. Nice work and results . 6mm definitely makes a great mass effect on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They do look good en masse. Storage is a bonus too.
      Chris

      Delete
  10. Great progress, they look excellent!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Appreciate it.
      Chris

      Delete
  11. They look great, suitably colourful - the white coats and coloured facings etc make a nice combination at this scale.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks David. Yes, things stand out better against the white in this scale.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some great looking figures Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Appreciate your comment.
      Chris

      Delete
  14. Your Spanish and Piedmont troops are so impressive in numbers and I can see them fighting over so many historical battlefields of the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. As they stand, in the rules I use, each force represents c12,000 infantry and 2,500 cavalry. A good start.
      Chris

      Delete