Wednesday 14 August 2024

Operational Challenges of the AWI

The following video came up in my YouTube feed. It's long, at 80 minutes, and a bit dry at the start, but it's well worth persevering with in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAHlGDjINI&t=1406s

There are five speakers, who are amongst the contributors to a Helion book (Casemate in the US) called: aging War in America, 1775-1783: Operational Challenges of Five Armies. There's a discount code in the notes for Casemate for 25% off. I don't know if there's a similar discount for Helion. I've seen/heard/read some of the speakers before. Don Hagist wrote another Helion title on British flank companies/composite battalions, Alex Burns contributed to and edited the The Changing Face of Old Regime Warfare: Essays in Honour of Christopher Duffy (Helion Press, 2022), and I've seen Todd Braisted talk on Loyalists on another YouTube channel - Redcoat History.

Amongst the surprises to me was the extent of conscription in the US forces during the war, and how little the French fought in open battle (their main, and decisive, action being the siege of Yorktown). So I won't be recruiting any of Rochambeau's army any time soon! Oh, and one more, was how the Brunswickers adopted the British two-rank, loose files doctrine unlike the Hessians. So some re-basing is due, I think! 

I nearly titled this post War in America, but thought it might attract more hits than I would want. At least from quarters I don't want hits from, given the somewhat febrile nature of politics currently.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip Chris, sounds like it might be worth a look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video is a good way of trying before you buy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link Chris and I'll try and watch it soon, as I'm sure it will have lots of good infor which we can use in our games and campaigns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome Steve. To set your expectations, there is no talk about battles and campaigns. No narrative. But it is good for background. What James Holland calls ‘the operational level’ on his podcast .
      Chris

      Delete