Saturday 12 June 2021

Wall experiments

Had a little dabble during the second half of the Welsh game. A couple of samples here.

With the option on the left I think I need to top the walls off with some earthworks. Low wall on the right is printed paper on card, formed into the shape of a bastion. It can be shaped to cover either a corner or a curtain wall. I need to find a suitable filler to keep its shape and to form a gun platform.

You can see the way the wall is constructed 




Alternative variant in the centre. In my impatience to cut the paper I didn’t wait for the PVA to dry and the paper tore.

Side view of the second variant. Both blocks are place on their ‘thin edge’

Forgot: some dimensions. The figures are Pendraken 10mm. The blocks are c 45mm x 10 x 15. The bastion is c 18mm tall by c 40/45 wide depending on the angle of the flanks to the faces.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The printer who produced the paper did all the hard work. But I’m pleased with them. I’ll go to craft and DIY shops tomorrow looking for plasticine and bits to form the centre of the bastion.

      Delete
  2. They look good ..I prefer the brick work on the walls over the darker bastion, if I am honest. The paper you have used looks almost exactly the same as I used for my Border Rever building about nine months ago.... For an example see my post of Aug 4 2020 on BYDAND Blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! I got mine from a company in Cornwall via eBay.

      The bastion idea was just a spin-off project as the design was too narrow for decent height walls for the castle. I might use them mainly for 6mm games, but I can mix and match. Not sure if many places had masonry bastions in England in the 1640s apart from Berwick and that had those misshapen Italianate ones with oreillons.

      Delete
  3. It is working well you are definitely on to something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a start. Still some partly unanswered questions. Like how do I deal with corners…..I have an idea for small round towers but yet to source the material.

      Acquired some material for a glacis this morning and spotted something which would be perfect to fill out the bastion. But it comes in packs covering 4.8 sq metres (49 sq feet in old money).

      Delete
  4. Good looking progress on your wall building!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. Still very much a developmental stage at the moment. More materials and tools purchased today so I’ll have a bit more of a dabble tomorrow evening. Hopefully I’ll swing into proper production later in the week.

      Delete
  5. It's good to play around with ideas before committing all the materials. The different patterns and shapes will look great.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers James. Carried the experiment/project a stage further on Monday and narrowed down on design a little.

      Delete