Wednesday 13 January 2021

War Without an Enemy - Sample Game and Further Thoughts

At the moment this is still very much a War Without a Game. Tonight I finished off the sample game in the Playbook. The sample game takes you through a hypothetical game between Charles and Robert during which no aspersions were cast on Robert's marital relations. It consisted of two turns in late 1642 - the scenario starts as the historical war did in September. Remember a turn normally contains 5 phases (with 6 in the Winter Turn). 1642 is a bit different in not having a Winter Turn.

It was good that I did run through the sample game. I would never get through a game turn unaided. The Playbook explains each phase in clear detail, but even then I found myself looking up sections of the rules to check why such and such a unit has dice in combat. I'm glad to say I got there in the end. The whole process took me 3 hours on two different days, including setting up. It would probably be quicker if my mind were more nimble, and obviously it will speed up as I get more used to it. Bear in mind that this was only a 2 Turn year - the other 4 years have 6 Turns, with the last (Winter) Turn having an extra phase!

During those two Turns there were half a dozen battles, so used as a campaign to generate tabletop action you will be setting up the figures a LOT! I played through the battles using the abstracted battle format the game gives you. Each battle has lots of clever nuances so I can this can become absorbing. And lots to learn, but if each turn is generating at least one battle you will get used to it quickly. At anything like this frequency however, playing out battles as miniatures games would drag the campaign out inordinately. This would lead me to either abandon the idea completely, and just play the game as it was intended, or decide to play some games with figures and some using the game rules.

One of the little features I like are the options to Withdraw Before Battle and General Retreat during a battle. These allow players to decide discretion is the better part of valour, but you suffer consequences. And you really should only do this if you have some cavalry left! 

The battle mechanics are quite nice. Units (blocks) have strength values which get eroded with action, and Effectiveness which doesn't. The Strength determines the number of D6 rolls a unit gets, and Effectiveness determines the maximum roll on a D6 that will inflict a hit. Thus a unit with Strength of 3 and Effectiveness of 2 gets to roll 3 D6 scoring hits on 1 or 2. Artillery only get to fire in the first of 3 Battle Turns. Infantry can opt to either Fire (-1 on the effectiveness score) or Engage (no deduction). Horse only Engage. If no enemy Horse are present, your Horse get a +1 on Effectiveness. For some reason that I haven't figured out yet, the defender gets to fire first.

One of the battles was actually a Storm (Waller capturing Plymouth from Hopton) and this had some slightly different factors, but similar enough to field battles to keep it understandable.

In terms of the practicalities, the board, cards and associated sheets took up the best part of a 5' by 3' table. The wooden playing pieces need to be handled with care. You need to make sure that the pieces face the right way in order to keep track of their strengths. They are only flipped over to show the opponent what they are when they actually end up in a battle. There isn't a huge amount of space within some of the areas on the map to fit many blocks into the same area. It won't really be practicable as a remote game.

I'll probably have at least one more walk through the sample game to make sure I get the processes hammered home. Then I can think about where I go next with this. So as the managers of just defeated football teams say, "we go again".


12 comments:

  1. Hah...I had mentally composed almost exactly the same comment as Jonathan! Using a campaign game of this type to generate inter related table top clashes is great fun and I look forward to seeing how things go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a while before lead gets on the table!

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying reading about the game. The aesthetics of it sound good. It seems to be interesting enough to warrant your time and attention. The nuances in the rules will take time indeed to absorb. A fascinating project all in all. Any lead on the purchasing schedule or painting table...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      Hopefully I won’t need to buy any more figures (though I have some spares crying out to be added to to muster more units!. I have maybe 35 ECW units - what a unit represents could vary with the size of battle and rules used, so I’ve probably got enough. Certainly not much spare table space to permit movement. I don’t have any Covenanters though! No need for Montrose’s mob with this game though- it’s just England and Wales. Maybe I should just put Hopton v Waller on the table to avoid having to buy and paint the Covenanters.

      Delete
  3. It's good to see you making progress with this and as Jonathan has said, it does sound interesting. My initial though would be maybe to select one commander or army and play their actions with miniatures as a 'traditional' game, with the other actions fought as per the rules. This way you can see how they get on throughout the war, which could be fun. Whatever you choose to do I'm looking forward to seeing more of this:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a great idea! Thanks. I could take Fairfax and Newcastle or Hopton and Waller. If I did the King and Essex I would probably mainly end up with large battles and I want a mixture.

      Delete
  4. Hello there nundanket,

    This is really helpful and the trigger is getting ready to be pulled! As I recall one of the designers is ex Columbia Games so the block mechanics seem pretty familiar. I did not realise it took up quite so much room.

    Perhaps fighting only the battles you think are worth putting on the table top may be an option rather than every one - have a minimum strength level below which you use the game to resolve combat saving the bigger action for the table top.

    Just a thought!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I was hoping to have games of different sizes, and some asymmetrical battles as well as big set-pieces. So I’d probably go with Steve’s suggestion.

      I don’t like to be cramped on a table so maybe it could go on a smaller table. I’ll check the board size and let you know.

      The board would have to be cleared away for a battle so I need to factor that in to the equation.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fascinating if rather involved game, dare I say it possibly over complicated for a battle generator? A good buy nonetheless, I've vaguely looked for something similar for the great Italian wars but what I've ended up with is too complicated and I keep coming back to something simple like kingmaker transposed to Italy!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dare say it. I think that you’d probably be right too. I like the look of it as a game in itself. I actually don’t just want a battle generator. I want some context, a bit more of a feel for the period and this looks like it could do the job. It’s the logistics of playing board moves, logging where everything is when I reach a battle in order to clear it away while I play out the battle on the dining table-cum-work desk. Pending a supershed, I need a re-think.

      Delete
  6. I agree, sounds interesting. You could also just randomly determine which battles to fight out; say roll a die for each battle in a given turn, and fight out the one with the highest score. Many other variations are of course possible.

    ReplyDelete