Tuesday 19 January 2021

A brisk action at Hazzard

I finally got a small game in tonight with my AWI troops using Loose Files and American Scramble. It's the first time I've actually used the rules 'in anger' (if you describe a solo wargame thus). The scenario was simple. A British brigade under Colonel Haberghan had to seize the town of Hazzard in North Carolina, vital to their push inland from the tidal waterways.

Unbeknownst the British, the Rebels were already converging on Hazzard. A regiment of NC militia was already ensconce south of the town hidden in a cereal field by the road. A regiment Continentals was heading down the road from the north and Colonel 'Boss' Hoggs' Rifle Regiment was heading towards the town from the north west

The British

Commander, Col. the Hon. Henry Haberghan

47th foot (2nd class)

10th foot (2nd class)

Combined light companies (1st class)

2 sections of 6 pounders

The Americans

In command, Colonel Roscoe P. Coltrane

N.Carolina Militia (4th class)

30th Continentals (2nd class)

Hoggs' Rifles (2nd class)

1 section of 6 pounders

All infantry were 8 companies strong except the militia which were 6.

Opening set-up. British column entering from the south, militia in the cereal field to the right with further Americans due to enter from the north.

Militia lie in wait.
The British weren't allowed to deploy to face the militia until the militia opened fire. The militia were to try to hold-up or at least slow down the Lobsters until the reinforcements arrived. Meanwhile the Continentals could only enter on a 6 on a D6 (then reducing by 1 on subsequent turns). The rifles could enter on a 5 or 6, with that target reducing by 1 each turn.

As things panned out, the militia fired a surprise volley on the 47th and on the head of the Lights inflicting a DP (Disorder Point) on each. Haberghan urged the 47th on to Hazzard whilst getting the Lights to swing into line. His guns followed the 47th down the road with the 10th following in turn. The Lights launched a bayonet charge on the rebels, handing them a heavy defeat in close combat. The militia fled to the farmstead, taking losses and DPs on the way. Meanwhile the Lights halted to rally off their DPs.

After 3 turns both the American reinforcements arrived and headed to town as fast as possible.

Here we see the Continentals marching southwards, with the Rifles the northwest. The 47th form a line at a right-angle pending support from the artillery and 10th. The militia can be seen at the farmstead on the right with the Lights rallying just inside the fence.

The Lights eye the Militia in the farm and gear themselves up for another assault.

A firefight broke out between Hoggs' boys and the 47th and the guns. Initially the fire from both sides was ineffective with DPs building up very slowly. Whilst this was happening events at the farm were much more dramatic. The Lights' blood was up and they stormed the farm scattering the Militia to the four winds. The Americans were one unit down.


The Continentals have deployed in the town and advance to firing range but do not assault the 47th because of the approaching Lights. The 10th Foot have arrived (bottom right). The Rifles turn their whole attention on the Yellowbellies.

The Lights have charged the Continentals and driven them out of the town with casualties (down from 8 to 7 companies). Meanwhile the Continental gunners have also been chased off. Similarly, below the road, the Yellowbellies shrugged off the DPs inflicted on them by the Rifles and see them off at bayonet point with heavy losses.

So the action was over. It took about an hour and a half, which isn't bad for a first try with the rules. I've probably made lots of mistakes (indeed I remembered a few omissions which I did my best to rectify as soon as I realised). But so far so good.

Table size used was 3' by 5 ' used length ways. Figures are all Pendraken 10mm. I used my ECW casualty figures as DP markers and ECW limbers which don't look too out of place at table distance.



14 comments:

  1. This is a good action and rewarding to give a new set of rules a try. With DPs, is LFAMS a precursor to General de Brigade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t know Jon. I’m not familiar with GdB. Loose Files was first published by Andy Callan in about 1987 I think. The idea is DPs act as minuses for firing and combat etc and then once you get to 5 each additional hit is taken as a casualty (I.e. remove a ‘company’ base). Does that sound like GdeB?

      Delete
    2. A quick look through my copy of GdB suggests I don't know what I am talking about! Haven't played the game in years and see no mention of DPs. I know I have played games with DPs but which? Maybe it was LaSalle?

      Delete
  2. A great looking game and an enjoyable battle report. The figures and terrain look great together. Btw are you managing to resist a few 25mm Minifigs? If you were interested and fancied a go I have some spare 25mm Malburian Austrians I could send you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. Mmm! I don’t think I’m ready for a new scale yet. But thank you for thinking of me.

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you have been able to get a game in. I loved the references to the '70's tv series too:). I've heard good things about the rules but currently am happy using a Honours of War variant or BPII.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it. ‘Them Dooks, them Dooks!’ I think there’s a theme to be developed here in a series of non-too serious games. No more dels of Daisy though.

      Delete
  4. Hello there nundanket,

    LFAAS are a great set of rules and the action looked both fun and brisk. Love the Pendraken figures - 10mm really is a great scale methinks!

    All the best,

    DC

    PS I am unsure how you factor in Miss Daisy....(unless you were driving her of course, sorry, wrong one....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve liked the look of them for many years since they came out. That’s Loose Files not Daisy Duke 😁. I feel that the Dukes would have been Loyalists, which might account for them being on the wrong side of the local hierarchy under the Republic. Daisy would be some form of morale/victory point objective.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a fun game,nice to see the crown winning!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the odds were stacked in their favour. The quality difference has a bigger effect than I expected. Maybe in the next game I’ll give the Crown the troops they ended this game with but the Rebels everything they started with.

      Delete
  6. Good stuff with 10 mm figures the table gives plenty of space 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s the main reason for me using these small scales. In this particular case, what is on the table is my whole AWI collection.

      Delete
  7. A nice looking game and at 90 mins a good length for a solo outing - nice to see the Brits win for a change - most AWI reports I have read recently, they have been on the wrong end of the result!

    ReplyDelete