Wednesday 27 January 2021

Teaser

The British lights advancing towards the bridge at Vallance and cresting a small rise spot the Americans earthworks. In wait lie more rebels on both sides of the river.


The Blue Mountain Boys lurk in the woods ready to take the redcoats in flank. Under orders to hit and flit, the Blue Mountain Boys know a ford across the Sasquahannoc River.



After their success at Hazzard, Habaerghan rested his weary brigade. They also took the opportunity to requisition supplies for their onward march to clear the country of rebels. The rebels had been soundly beaten at Hazzard and Haberghan would have given his best hounds for a troop or two of light dragoons*, even Loyalist ones, who would have been able to press home the advantage whilst the foot rested. Instead the rebels had time to prepare their next position where further regiments of militia, riflemen and regulars met the defeated troops from Hazzard.


* Note to self: must order some light dragoons. I also need to get some buildings more sympathetic to the theatre.

PS I've just noticed that this is my 200th published post. Crikey. I really must get out more.

PPS Order placed for light dragoons, reinforcements for the Americans, plus top-up for my ECW Foot, and more Soviets and Finns.

13 comments:

  1. I stand by awaiting reports of battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I’ll get the game in this evening (late morning for you) and AAR posted before bedtime.

      Delete
  2. The set up looks great. Can you tell us a little more about the terrain and how you made it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan.
      The cloth is simply a sheet of felt I bought years ago in a fabric shop. It was an odd size (not much use to their normal clientele!) so they let me have it really cheaply. I’ve tried spraying different colours on it to make it less like a snooker table.
      The river was made for a school project last year. Details here https://horseandmusketgaming.blogspot.com/2020/05/school-project.html?m=0
      Trees/woods are a mixture of ‘bump’ pipe cleaner (conifers) and those Pom-poms you get in craft shops (deciduous). The latter stuck on nails. Various coloured clump foliage and flock glued on.
      Roads are masking tape. Be better if they were given a quick ‘wash’ with brown paint/marker pen.
      Fences are match sticks stuck in lollipop sticks and painted Vallejo deck tan.
      Crops are that fake grass greengrocers use on market stalls, dry-brushed various cereal colours. Actually paint pot samples!
      Earthworks are wooden beading that you can get fir edging flooring and the like from DIY shops. Painted and textured. Gabions are from Pendraken but for more extensive works I made lots from dowelling like those you get in flat pack furniture.
      Buildings are Timecast and Leven.

      Delete
  3. The Light Dragoons are rather nice sculpts, as you would imagine from a superb range. I just wish they did some dismounted versions. I've used some Leven Miniatures ACW buildings for this conflict and whilst not perfect, are fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. I like Leven stuff. Scale wise it’s a wee bit smaller than the Timecast buildings I’ve got but should be OK for me. I mix the ranges gor my ECW games.
      You’ve got me thinking about dismounted light dragoons. Wonder if there’s something close enough to adapt in Pendraken’s Napoleonics or SYW ranges.

      Delete
    2. I think they're might be some British Light Infantry that are close, which I may have bought for this purpose. However they are stored away so can't be sure. A perusal of the Pendraken site is in the offing...

      Delete
    3. I think AWB22 British Light Infantry in crested helmets are as close as one can get at present, with a paint job to add the longer cavalry boots. From memory this is the route I chose...

      Delete
    4. That’s what I would go for. Close enough in that small scale.

      Delete
  4. Good game mate. My own lead pile has also begun to grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How’s it going in that there Welsh Wales? Are you building up your Anglo-Saxons and Vikings or another period?

      Delete
  5. Nice looking set up, the river sections are particularly good!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The river sections are the things I’m proud of. OK technically they were made by the girls, but I’m claiming the IPR.

      Delete