Wednesday 23 December 2020

The Holly and the Ivy

Inspired by some of Tradgardmastare’s recent posts, particularly the one with Annie Lennox, I looked up some of my own favourite tracks featuring Christmas carols.

For many years I played Kate Rusby’s 2008 album Sweet Bells to death every December. It features carols in the ‘Sheffield’ tradition - mostly standard words but to different tunes, sung in the pubs of the area around the Steel City. I think the album eventually got under my kids’ skin too and one of the 14-year olds told me the other day that she’d recently introduced her best friend to it. Yes, I’m one of those annoying proselytisers when I find songs that I like.

Ms Rusby normally does a tour in the run up to Christmas. Three years ago I managed to get organised in time to buy tickets for the six of us for her London gig. On my birthday. I was a very happy boy that night.

I wouldn’t say the following is my favourite track - that is too difficult to call. But I offer it here because it makes me think of ‘Olde England’. This version also made me understand that carols really are dancing tunes.

https://youtu.be/ETe6jOt6BnI

Hope you enjoy it!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely song beautifully sung.
    Can I recommend the Golden Bough winters dance...

    ReplyDelete