Sunday 25 October 2020

Progress at last!

OK, I think I'm there. After a bit more experimentation, this time with 2.5cm and 2 cm wide bases, I've reached a tentative decision. I think the 2.5cm wide bases give a little too much space, so it looks like it'll be 2cm wide by 3cm deep. I'll probably put command groups (a dismounted officer, 2 colour bearers and a drummer) on bases twice as wide. 

Close Order infantry (mostly the Germans) will be based in two ranks of three, and Loose Order infantry in two ranks of two. Light infantry can go on the same sized base as line, but the bases can be spaced out when they are in open order. I think I'll place the militia in tighter formations than Loose Order foot on the basis that they'll bunch up together more for protection. The Cavalry will need a bit more thought.

I'll sleep on it and if nothing else occurs overnight I'll place an order for laser-cut MDF bases.

There was some progress too on the Americans. I prepped and undercoated a battalion's worth each of Continentals and Militia. In the course of doing so I discovered that some of the militia drummers in broad brimmed hats, with the brim turned up at the front, would fit in nicely with my ECW lot so I've earmarked a couple to go in the ECW spares box.

Once I get going with the painting I'll give some thought to buildings. I have other terrain suitable for eastern North America, but I lack appropriate houses and public buildings. Fencing I can probably scratch build as I have a large stock of matchsticks. At some point in November I should be able to get a game on the table. I'm not putting any timescale on it yet. If that goes well I'll order some more figures to give me something to do at Christmas 😊


2cm wide bases to the left; 2.5cm to the right. Close Order on the left of each group, Loose Order on the right.

Aerial view: 2cm wide in front; 2.5cm behind. Close Order on the left of each line.




All on 2cm wide bases. Close Order on the left, Loose on the right.



Nicely spaced I think.

All Loose Order on the equivalent of 2cm wide bases - actually 4x3cm. The added depth will make them easier to pick up.

Same but from 'eye-level' (almost).


7 comments:

  1. Looking good. The difference between close and open order is immediately evident.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you feel you have arrived,.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a period I 'do' but very nice looking none the less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. I'm not happy with the painting. They need lightening up. So a touch of bright scarlet on the coats and white on the legs, and highlight the hats.

      Delete
  4. From the overhead photos and to my eye, the base depth looks too deep but that may be deceiving. Typically in basing and depending upon scale, depth is more exaggerated than width. At the battalion or regimental level, I would tend to reduce base depth, if possible. Then again, it is all dependent upon ground and figure scale as well as personal preferences on aesthetics. Any decision you make is the right one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Depth is a problem in anything but skirmish level - a typical base is usually as deep as a Napoleonic column of companies. I'll might just squeeze the ranks closer together and see how that looks. I'll keep the bases the same depth, for practical handling reasons. Besides, I've ordered them now :-)

      Delete