Sunday 23 August 2020

The Victors

They say history is written by the winners (‘they’ usually bring the losers or their sympathisers and fellow travellers). If that’s the case, they were pretty honest in the case of this film.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0057652/

I missed the beginning hour, and have watched for an hour and a half and it’s still got over half an hour to go. But it’s clear this is one of the best war films I’ve seen. The Christmas 1944 scene is hauntingly memorable.

The film makes clever use of Pathéstyle newsreels.

I’ll have to find a way to watch the whole thing. I’ve never heard of it before so it was a complete revelation.

Oh! I almost forgot to explain a bit about the film. It’s a series of loosely-linked episodes, sometimes mundane, sometimes moving, occasionally shocking, concerning American infantry in NW Europe in 1944-45. Very little of it concerns action. But it’s captivating. It seems as if it is all based on real stories.

I was going to post the Wikipedia link but it would spoil the plot.

1 comment:

  1. A cracking film and the Xmas scene is hauntingly beautiful, but a tough watch.

    ReplyDelete