Friday 3 April 2020

Money for old rope

I’m enjoying this feeling of cracking on and ticking jobs off the list. So much so that I’m spinning a whole new post out of it. Here's the updated list. Bar a couple of odds and sods I’m now looking to tasks 7-11. Bridges are now done, so I’m now staring at the next item in the list, ‘finish AWI’ figures. However, Jonathan over at Palouse Wargaming Journal got me thinking about the WWII Soviets. And now Bob Cordery has built up the temptation by writing about Unknown Soldier which I also covered here back in September.
  1. Finish ECW 'clubmen'. Just 'texturing the bases and a bit of touching up of paint. Complete
  2. Texture ECW casualty marker bases. Complete
  3. Finish ECW musketeers. Probably at least a regiment's worth. Maybe have as firelocks? Complete
  4. Finish ECW command figures. A few to paint and texture bases. Complete
  5. Finish ECW odds and sods, e.g. limbers. Limbers and horse teams done. Forgot to add ‘casualty marker bases done. Just His Maj and Warty Nose to paint..
  6. Paint bridges. Complete
  7. Finish AWI. Quite a few Brits done but no Yanks. Brits need cleaning up too.
  8. WWII Finns and Russians (10mm) - lots of infantry and AFVs. 
  9. Touch up and base 6mm siege train, pontoons and transport. 
  10. Paint and base Baccus 6mm cattle/bullocks
  11. Base Leven hedges so they don't keep falling over. 
  12. Finish 6mm gabions. I made significant inroads into these in the run up to Kunersdorf.
  13. New in at number 13. Paint and texture bastions (3mm scale).*
A possible #14 is to ‘do something with the ships guns I used in the Leaguer of Grimsby. They need basing but I need to think carefully about how they will fit in with whatever fortifications I have. And #15, when I decide on a design or designs, is to make something with the other bits I bought that ‘look useful’ like the matchsticks (sans heads) I got from the craft isle at the supermarket.

* These are sample piece I bought a couple of years ago for use on the principle of ‘1 scale down’. Actually they’re ‘huge’ with faces about 7cm long. I had to build up the parapets on one  with green stuff to make it usable with 6/10mm figures. I ran out of green stuff before I got to the second one.

I hope you’re all keeping your spirits up and remaining healthy. And thank you for continuing to read this drivel.

PS it just struck me that all this activity is probably to do with me having finished the Minden book, and having decided not to finish Wanton Troopers (the Civil War in Bucks). The title of the latter book makes it seem much more exciting than it is - it’s ‘serious’ history with nothing much by way of narrative of the campaigns.

6 comments:

  1. You continue to make impressive progress. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Up until now they’ve been relatively small jobs but 7 and 8 are big and much more daunting. I don’t even have a handle on numbers yet. I think I’ll have to catalogue them and break them down into smaller jobs.

      Delete
  2. Good work on your list,I keep mine in my head, so no one knows when I change it!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah but my cunning plan is to go public which means I have to do it or lose face. It worked when I told everyone at work I was aiming to lose X kg.

      Delete
    2. And now you're working from home? You crafty wee devil.

      Delete
    3. I am indeed. 4 weeks now. All the above tasks completed out of office hours I hasten to add.

      Delete