Wednesday 1 April 2020

Self-discipline

There's been a rare outbreak of self-discipline in the Schloß Nundanket. I made finally made an indent into the list of a dozen oustanding tasks that I drew up 4 months ago.

Here's the list and what I've managed to do. It's quite motivating to see some progress.
  1. Finish ECW 'clubmen'. Just 'texturing the bases and a bit of touching up of paint. Complete
  2. Texture ECW casualty marker bases. Complete
  3. Finish ECW musketeers. Probably at least a regiment's worth. Maybe have as firelocks? Complete
  4. Finish ECW command figures. A few to paint and texture bases. Complete
  5. Finish ECW odds and sods, e.g. limbers. Limbers and horse teams done.
  6. Paint bridges.
  7. Finish AWI. Quite a few Brits done but no Yanks. Brits need cleaning up too.
  8. WWII Finns and Russians (10mm) - lots of infantry and AFVs.
  9. Touch up and base 6mm siege train, pontoons and transport.
  10. Paint and base 6mm cattle/bullocks - Baccus, bought with my Naps. Too big for my SYW (H&R and Irregular).
  11. Base Leven hedges so they don't keep falling over.
  12. Finish 6mm gabions. I made significant inroads into these in the run up to Kunersdorf.
So over a quarter of the tasks done. However, 7 and 8 are much larger jobs. I dived in without checking the list and forgot the clubmen because they'd ended up in the wrong box. I'll probably do them next and decide what to do with the Puritan preacher I made out of one of them. I had a half-baked notion to use him as some form of additional morale/steadiness chip if I developed a suitable rule modification. I'd have to make a similar figure that looked a bit more Churchy for the Royalists - a bishop maybe?

I'll probably crack on with the bridges after the clubmen. Then probably the hedges. I'll not make any firm plans to tackle the rest of the list but I'll see how I feel when 1, 6 and 11 are done.

This burst of enthusiasm was brought about by having a day's leave. I had booked time off for day surgery which got cancelled owing to the mobilsation of all hospitals (NHS and private) to help deal with the current situation. I decided to have a bit of R&R rather than cancel the day off. I was up early enough to shoot off a couple of work e-mails and watch an old WII based comedy before setting off for a walk around Richmond Park, then the 300 Spartans in the afternoon. It worked too. I was feeling a little jaded and now I feel more geed up.

Update: clubmen now finished. The parson is now leading his flock from the command stand.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent way to keep up yourself.

    Do what you need to, we'll be here to cheer you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good progress made on your long list of tasks. Well done! The day off seemed just the ticket for you. I need a spontaneous day off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers guys. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lists are good,spontaneous days off are better!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete