Saturday 10 February 2024

Die Winterschlacht - distractions

Something reminded me of this fairly recent release* from Helion. A battle that doesn't get much coverage in its own right and which, the author argues, was that rare battle in that it actually finished a war. The Second Silesian War (part of the inter-connected conflicts know as the War of the Austrian Succession) ended in December 1745 shortly after the Battle of Kesselsdorf on 15th of that month.

* 2023.  It was previously published in German in 2022, and I believe Amtmann of the Wackershofen Anno Domini blog read that version and commented on an earlier blogpost.

 I need to thank my wife for this anniversary present. She's a good sort like that. She doesn't yet realise she bought it me mind.

Querengässer posits that Kesselsdorf has been overlooked in Saxony because it "is eclipsed by the occupation of the Electorate [of Saxony] in the Seven Years War" and the breakup of the Saxon-Polish union; and it was overlooked in Prussia because it was a victory, not of its King Frederick, but of his former tutor, Leopold of Anhalt-Dessau.

I've re-played the battle twice: once against my son with some iffy self-written rules; once using Twilight of the Soldier Kings. Here https://horseandmusketgaming.blogspot.com/2021/10/in-jesu-nahmen-marsch.html and here:

Saxons to the left, Prussians to the right

Austrians advance up to the stream. In the winter gloom Kesselsdorf can be seen in the distance.

The Brandenburg army marches out of the night, under the watchful eye of the Old Dessauer. I include these to show how far digital photography has come since those days.

Getting back to the book, there's some nice maps and colour plates of various troop types, including this splendid Hungarian musketeer. The SYW uniforms are a lot less interesting. This would maybe pose a good conversion challenge for those of you with larger scale figures.


I haven't gone beyond the Introduction yet, and I must resist the temptation of reading the whole thing for now as I have the small matter of an unstarted solo campaign to run. The other big distraction this week (apart from that 4-letter word beginning with W) was the small matter of a game at Chateau (Schloß?) Freitag. You can see a full report here: https://palousewargamingjournal.blogspot.com/2024/02/battle-of-lake-trasimene-217bce.html

Saturday will see little time for wargaming as after my Saturday morning swim I have a hospital appointment and then a late, late anniversary lunch in That London.

19 comments:

  1. Interesting book discovery. Not a battle I am familiar with but one I should read up on. I think I’ll add this to my Wish List.

    You played a very good game on Tuesday as Maharbal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t know much about the battle myself other than the usual paragraph it gets in books about Old Fritz.
      Thanks.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Good stuff Chris - but as to the images from 2021 - changes in (phone) camera technology have not been that dramatic, surely? My own blog dates from 2016, and I don't see a lot of difference between photos then, and the latest ones I just posted on my blog today? I think the problem with your images of the battle are probably lighting related......plus, it's probably harder to get good pictures of your diminutive figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have improved that much in my case. I had a crappy £10 job at the time. The game in the photos was actually 2011, so another decade earlier.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. What an utterly splendid Hungarian musketeer!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On reflection you could probably make one by swapping heads from a normal musketeer and putting it on a Grenzer.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Again not a battle I’m familiar with 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re not alone in that Matt.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Interesting looking book, one for the list that's for sure, not a battle I am familiar with. The Hungarian musketeer is a beauty as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s something of the fashion victim about him. Or King’s Road punk.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Always good to be introduced to something new. Thanks Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m mildly surprised at how unfamiliar this battle is. 25,000 a side so it’s not small.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. The Hungarians always add a nice splash of colour to the Austrian armies I feel, plus of course some excellent regiment names too. Interesting to see how historians tend to focus on certain areas and actions, which grown in the telling at the expense of other battles, often with improtant outcomes, such as in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on both points.
      Less colourful in the SYW because by then the infantry are in white coats. Incidentally I had no idea they weren’t in white coats in the 1st and 2nd Silesian Wars. Maybe I should buy more figures and paint them up for the WAS and not SYW 😆
      Chris

      Delete
    2. They got white coats in the last one or two years of the conflict. David Morier shows Hugarian grenadiers with white coats - but I think that his paintings are from 1748.

      Delete
  8. I had a book about Kesselsdorf by the author in German but with completely different illustrations and maybe the production value of Helion is a lot better. I do like the Hungarian infantry too. I painted Hungarian infantry with fur caps as I knew them from contemporary artwork. I wish you some luck at Schloss Freitag! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Were the Hungarian fur caps like the grenadier caps, or more like hussar hats?
      Chris

      Delete
  9. Interesting book, count me in the group who wasn't aware of the battle and the Hungarian musketeer is excellent!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! You’ll have to gave a look at the previous post on Kesselsdorf Iain, in the link above. 😉
      Chris

      Delete