Wednesday 21 February 2024

Kesselsdorf


I finished the Kesselsdorf book yesterday, and I must say I'm glad that I got it.  It has a number of good points from my point of view. It:

  • Is strong on the Saxon perspective for a change;
  • Goes into some depth on the battle itself, including discussion of accounts that don't tie up;
  • Has a general map of the initial deployments (better than any previous ones I've seen), and some detailed maps of some episodes;
  • Gives political and strategic background and consequences;
  • Gives a description of what happened to the casualties of battle (not something that is common), the impact on locals and the financial costs to the Saxons;
  • Provides full orders of battle for both sides;
  • Devotes nearly half the book to an account of the battle*

* Too often books on specific battles have relatively little to say on the course of the battle.

Saxon 'contributions' to the Prussian war effort. About 40% of the total Prussian costs according to Querengässer. Two birds, one stone. As well as covering a big slice of their own costs, the Prussians were hobbling a rival.

This doesn't include the cost to the local economy of looting........

At least another 177,000 Thalers

So this book seems to blend both 'traditional' military history and the 'new' military history. And it's got me thinking, "which figures would make good make good Polish Uhlans for the Saxon army?"**


** The answer is probably H&R SYW Bosniaken lancers.


My refight of Kesselsdorf in October 2021: https://horseandmusketgaming.blogspot.com/2021/10/kesselsdorf-refought-solo.html

16 comments:

  1. Nice to find a book about a battle you know well, that provides some new perspectives,Chris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair Keith, I don't know it well. The most I've read on it before is a couple of paragraphs. It's treated as a footnote in books about Frederick the Great. So it's great to have a book dedicated to it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the review, it looks a most interesting read.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good read. Well worth it.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good book for sure. Sadly Freddies treatment of Saxony, which was pretty brutal to be honest, is often glossed over. Something to add to my booklist I think...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Fritz was beastly to the Saxony. He plundered it mercilessly. “Saxony is like a sack of flour. No matter how often you beat it, something always comes out.”
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a recommendation Chris. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is if you’re in to this period.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. I should be on commission!
      Chris

      Delete
  5. That looks like a pretty good book, it has clearly impressed you! Does it make you think about a re-fight, given the full OOBs etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! (That sounds a bit like the Churchill dog!)
      I don’t know how different it will be from the one I used before. But definitely worth a revisit.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. You make a convincing argument for the book but as it's outside my period I shall resist, I hope that doesn't affect your commission too much!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah no! Bang goes my business model. I should have gone for Napoleonics.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. I concur completely with your list, Chris. It's amazing how often these books aimed at amateur historians ('history buffs') such as us are lacking in obviously key content—maps, being the one that drives me crazy! *This* one sounds like a fine example of the exception that proves the general rule. My satisfaction with Helion's publications has been high and they seem to be getting better while at the same time being prolific in publishing—as well as email offers, if one subscribes to the newsletters! :)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are prolific and I agree that the standard seems to be rising. Probably only one book that I was actively unhappy with and I've bought several. Too many! Like you I subscribe to the newsletters and I have to be very disciplined with myself.

      Delete