Monday 8 January 2024

We regret to announce...

....a delay in the war in Italy. This weekend was looking clear. No commitments. No football to watch. But before my morning swim yesterday I felt a bit of the fatigue I've been suffering from lately. I went ahead with the swim, taking it fairly easily, but the rest of the day I basically couldn't be bothered to do anything for the rest of the day*. Sunday started with very bright weather. The sort of weather that just cried out for a walk. So after a slow morning, the Margravina and I walked in to Richmond and headed for the Curzon Cinema to watch One Life, which was as good as I expected. Back at home energy levels were low and I ended up having a two hour kip.

* I did finish off the Leven buildings later in the evening though - I thought I'd taken a photo but it seems to have disappeared.

So instead I'll offer up some snaps from our mini-break in Lincoln between Christmas and New Year. Most of them are self-explanatory I hope.

View from the temporary Margravian residence

The local burg looks impressive, but unfinished. I shall have to send the margravate's engineer to study it.


A cold and wet day, but it was warm in 'the big church on the hill'. Glad to see the CofE has joined the 21st century and has contactless donation terminals.

Closer examination of this carving reveals people near the hand 

Apologies, I don't know the terminology for church architecture, but this is spectacular!

Various regimental colours in the Armed Forces Chapel. These all look post-1801 Act of Union as they have St.Patrick's Cross. 

More colours starting with the Grenadier Guards, a unit with close ties to Lincolnshire along with the 10th Foot/Royal Lincs Regt (obviously), and a number of the SAS 'Originals'. One of the lancer regiments too, but I can't remember if it was the 17th or 21st.



One for our Antipodean brethren. Links with Lincs presumably as it was such an important area for Bomber Command.




Big Sis explained that this gargoyle is very modern, dating to the period after the financial crash of 2008/Credit Crunch

Remains of one of the towers from a Roman gateway

Another Roman gateway

Random shot of a wonky building. Lots of these in different sizes and shapes. One of them on Steep Hill, houses a model shop - could find nothing that I needed though.

This roof appealed to me. Something of the Old School 18th century Wargame about it, though I guess it would be difficult to model the curves, if you're not rich enough for those German model railway buildings.

The old Liberal Club building. It must have been grand in its day.


Lincolnshire red wine?! Wasn't bad, but the winery has closed now apparently. Good with that Lincolnshire delicacy Haslet. I meant to get some to bring back to the benighted lands of the South, but forgot. Growing up I didn't realise haslet was an especially Yellowbelly thing. It was just something my dad had in his 'packing up'.

I didn't make it to the Bomber Command Memorial as it was closed. But definitely next time. Also didn't get to see the Magna Carta as it wasn't on display. Hopefully I'll get to see it another time. All in all a lovely city to visit, and only 2 hours by train from Kings Cross. Even better was getting to see my biggest sister and brother, their spouses and 2 out of 3 of brother's children and his grandchildren. Brother's offspring have all migrated to the Lincoln area.




22 comments:

  1. Fascinating photos and history. Thanks for posting it.
    I hope you are back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben.
      And you’re welcome. We are lucky enough to have all of this relatively on our doorstep.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Looks like a very nice place to visit Chris - I have never been to Lincoln (doubt I could even place it on a map to be honest!) but then that is true of MANY places in the UK - when you live there, you don't necessarily feel the need to visit every town and city - and now I don't live there, it's too late! I do recall when we visited Exeter Cathedral in 2015, they also had the colours of a lancer regiment - I have a gut feeling it was NOT the 17th - but like you, I can't swear to it. Interesting tie-in to my recent post in your mention of the Bomber Command memorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lincoln is easy to place Keith. It’s just a dozen miles SW of Market Rasen 😉
      Even being a Lincs native, I’ve only been to Lincoln 1/2 dozen times.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Hope your feeling better now Chris? Perfect weather for a walk here too, but SWMBO was having a well earned rest in the warmth as from spending the week in the playground as a TA, she's got all of this week to enjoy the cold! I did however go out for a nice stroll.

    Lovely photos and a place I've never been too, as Lincolnshire always seemed to far round The Wash to get to when I lived in Cambridgeshire. Now haslet is something I love and the local butchers used to make there own, which was wonderful and has never been bettered IMHO. I see it rarely here in Bristol and not many people know about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Strike that as another one for haslet then!
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Glad you had a good trip. Thanks for posting the pictures, most interesting.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, Haslet, yumm.... said no one other than us (and your Dad, clearly) in the world... ever.. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can sense a new mission is required!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting, a very nice outing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you recover quickly Chris.
    I love Lincoln, especially the walk back down from the castle and cathedral... much easily! Thanks for taking me back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard. We had it the wrong way round. Downhill when we went out, and uphill on the return.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Fantastic photo tour, Chris! So many interesting sites. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. We’re spoiled with things to point a phone at.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. Top tourist snaps! I hope that you are back to pleine forme now?
    Best wishes and regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Not 100% yet but getting there.

      Delete
  10. Lovely photos, went out with a girl from Lincoln when I was at art school, eventually managed to persuade her to get a job in the Highlands of Scotland while I stayed in London, anyway hope you're recovered!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was she that bad you had to have 500 miles between you? Sort of a reverse Proclaimers.
      Thanks Iain. All the best.
      Chris

      Delete
  11. Hope you are feeling better now, Chris - was it the Covid?
    Nice pics of Lincoln, we went there for a weekend a few days before the first 2020 lockdown - which was a bit weird as pubs, restaurants etc were already closing and there were hardly any other tourists. We had the Cathedral to ourselves! I remember that model shop, and I bought an Airfix Churchill 'Crocodile' kit there, just to give them some token business - glad to hear they have survived! ( the kit remains unbuilt..) I hope to go back to Lincoln in more normal times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. Today was the best I've felt since late December (which was the best I'd felt for a few weeks). One thought I had was it's long Covid - haven't had the range of symptoms since October but. Fatigue is the main symptom now.
      I should be going to Lincoln more often now. Which is a great base for other historical places - e.g. Newark and the Civil War centre, Tattershall & Bolingbroke the other way.

      Delete