Wednesday 8 November 2023

Progress

In a spurt of activity over the last couple of days I finished off a book I'd been reading and nearly completed painting the buildings I bought recently. Now I'm itching to get started on something else. It seems to come and go like that - inactive for months, then completing things like billy-o.

The book was Serena Jones' biography of Sir George Lisle, the Royalist colonel executed by Fairfax after the siege of Colchester in the Second English Civil War. Without wishing to sound like I'm condemning it with faint praise, I think it was a brave move to write a book over 300 pages long when there appears to be scant information about the man. There's very little record of his life before the ECW, the author posits that it is plausible that Lisle could have been a professional solider on the Continent but there is no solid evidence.  I can't fault the scholarship though. Jones does not make any claims that aren't backed up by the sources. The trouble is the sources are thin on the ground.


A lot of the early part of the book is about his family before his birth - there seems to be more about his father's early life than there is about George's. Lisle was the son of a publisher/printer who had links to court (and was some sort of protégé of George Villiers, First Duke of Buckingham). So really middle class and not landed gentry. That's one in the eye for the Marxist explanation of the war. 

Much of the book consists of accounts of campaigns where Lisle was present (Edgehill, Newbury I and II, Cheriton, Croperedy, Cornwall, Naseby) but again, there is not much about what Lisle actually did because of a lack of surviving contemporary information. The chapter with the most about Lisle's known exploits is the one on Newbury II where Lisle's tercio held of Manchester's attacks in the eastern part of the battlefield. The story was that during a climactic part of the battle, Lisle threw off his coat (and armour?) so that his men could more easily recognise him in his white shirt.

This would make a good little game. The area of this map is 400 x 500 yards. 1,000-2,000 troops on the Royalist side and a few thousand on the Parliamentarian side.


The final part goes into a lot of fascinating detail about the siege of Colchester, arguably the event most associated with Lisle, but not much mention of him. I can see why someone would want to produce a biography of the man* but it could have fit into a much smaller volume than this.

* The story of his execution was the hook for me. In case you don't know, Lisle told his firing squad to come much closer to make sure they would hit him. One of the executioners said words to the effect of "don't worry, we'll hit you", to which Lisle replied, "you have been much closer to me before and missed". How could you not be impressed by a guy like that.




American on the left; English on the right. I will glue the brick walls on something to make them more stable. Maybe cut down the lolly sticks here.

********************

On Sunday whilst en route to a football match, I planned to rendezvous with a couple of friends at Tottenham Court Road. Whilst there I spotted a church I've not noticed before: St Patricks Church, Soho Square. 

I like this style of architecture. Italianate?

19 comments:

  1. https://www.nationalchurchestrust.org/church/st-patrick-soho
    https://taking-stock.org.uk/building/soho-st-patrick/
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you back in the fray so to speak. I agree that the book could have been a lot shorter, given paucity of sources upon which to build a picture of the man. The map shown certianly provides a nice scenario for sure and there must have been many similar small scale actions all across the country. Nice work on the terrain and that church does look nice and maybe I'll check it out when in London next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a good trip up to the Great Wen Steve!

      Delete
  3. Good to see the force is strong within you at the moment Chris - better buy something new to paint/read quick!
    The book does seem to have been somewhat "padded" to justify its production - maybe the author should have just stuck with the siege of Colchester and the outcome for her hero?
    The church is quite cool and yes, I would call that Italianate.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some odds and ends to paint, some of which has hung around for years, so I'm hoping this will give me the push to get them done.

      Delete
  4. A very brave chap, Mr Lisle. I’ve got this book and I have to agree with your overall view. Nothing new came out of its reading. London seems to still be full of quirky buildings despite the best efforts of the Luftwaffe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Sir George, or Colonel Lisle to you Mr Musquetier!
      That's one of the reasons why I love London. I've been up in that Tottenham Ct Rd tube station/Centre Point are quite a few times, but never noticed that church before. The area has been developed quite a lot since I was last there mind, what with the new Elizabeth Line (Crossrail) station and other commercial development.

      Delete
  5. It doesn't make me rush out and pick up the book but it's a great quote that has stuck with me for sime time now and yes the Shaw House looks like it would make a nice scenario, I know that the buildings on the left are American but surely they would pass muster as European in this scale or is that heresy? I know St Patricks, my grandfather was alleged to have been baptised while his father was on the run but the more I looked into it the less reality was attached! However my mother and father in law and my sister in law were married there and my wife and I were meant to spend a year doing lessons with the priest ( not our parish) right up until we ran away to Las Vegas and got married instead! Nice interior, very dark!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting to hear these personal stories, of what for me was a random church. Now I have to ask, were you married by an Elvis?
      I will use these buildings in European settings too. The wooden ones fill a gap for my (rare) Continuation War games. I now have Russian, US, British and Central European style churches. These are the main buildings that for me show the location.

      Delete
    2. Not by Elvis, although we had a look but by a slightly drunk Southern Baptist minister in a stained blue suit in the little Chapel opposite circus circus!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. 😆 That gives you something romantic to look back on Iain.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. You make good progress on many fronts. I do enjoy your rambles about the city. The church looks a bit Romanesque to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why it looks a bit Romanesque. I think that term applied to earlier medieval buildings, where the Italian variant evolved into something more like the Italianate style (19th century Renaissance Revival).

      Delete
  7. Good to see you making progress! Colchester is about 15 miles from me, and I really should read about the siege sometime. In our village there is a small cluster of old cottages called Garrison Lane, which refers to a story that 'Cromwell's Ironsides were billeted in the village' during the siege. It was a small village and not close to the action, so I can't imagine it would have been any more than say, a troop of horse, and I very much doubt if Oliver himself came anywhere near...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think Cromwell was involved in the siege. Certainly don’t remember any mention of him in that chapter. Pretty sure Olly was up in the north dealing with the Scots Engagers and northern Royalists.
      File “Cromwell’s X” along with place names such as “Caesar’s Camp”.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. that's a good point, he probably wasn't even near Colchester! Which makes it even worse that the new-ish housing estate is called 'Cromwell Fields'...

      Delete
  8. It's great to see you working forward. The church is looking very much like historism.

    ReplyDelete