Friday 24 November 2023

¡A Italia!

And so the decision has been taken. 

His Most Catholic Majesty, King Felipe V, by the grace of God King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies, of Jerusalem, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Mallorca, of Seville, of Sardinia, of Cordóba, of Corsica, of Murcia, of Jaen, of the Algarves, of Algeciras, of Gibraltar, of the Canary Islands, of the East and West Indies, of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Anjou, of Burgundy, of Brabant and of Milan, Count of Habsburg, of Flanders, of Tyrol and of Barcelona, Lord of Biscay and of Molina, etc. has decreed that an army shall be formed for the protection of our lands in Italy.

I’m taking the plunge and ordering troops from H&R for a Spanish army for the Austrian War of Succession. Now I mentioned before that I have sizeable Austrian and French armies for the period, and was reluctant to start another white-coated force. Especially as they’re 6mm figures.

Neil came up with the good idea of just making substitute command stands with different colours for the respective Bourbon armies. Two things stopped me implementing this plan. (1) I’m reluctant to start prising individual figures off bases; (2) having separate command stands is fiddly and takes up room. But it did spark off a compromise approach. I could build up half the number of Spanish units needed, each base with their colours or guidons to be paired up with bases of ‘French’ without colours. You see all my units are 2 bases strong.

The sizes of the Bourbon armies in Italy (or ‘Gallispans’/Franco-Spanish) were generally smaller than 50,000. So let’s say I need 25,000 Spanish split between 20,000 foot and 5,000 horse. With the unit sizes I employ this would be 8 units (brigades) of infantry and 4 of cavalry. But with my cunning plan I only need 1/2 that. As I get a brigade’s worth of horse or foot from each H&R pack, I only need to order 4 packs of infantry, 2 of cavalry, 1 of artillery, plus a pack of grenadiers for good measure. Except under Cunning Plan Dos, I don’t need any cav because I have re-purposed enough spare mounted officers to make up 2 units!


These were previously painted up as Austrian and Prussian officers for use as sort ‘command points’ in an idea derived from Polemos rules. Spanish cavalry mainly wore dark blue or white coats, with some in red and dragoons in yellow. Apart from some touching up I hardly need paint them! However, I do rather like the idea of mixing it up a bit by having a splash of yellow! I will have to make some little guidons from wire and baking foil. Fiddly, but doable.

An order will wing its way to H&R in the morning, together with an order for more bases from Pendraken.

As ever with these projects, no sooner had a scaled back the volume of new toy soldiers required than I realised I need some buildings more appropriate for northern Italy. I should have a go at making some poplars too, to line the roads.

14 comments:

  1. Cunning plan, indeed! I look forward to seeing your Spanish in battle. I have more Spanish mustering out in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post pop up in my feed. I’ll have a look later.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing how this all proceeds, poplars, scenery and all…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of pipe cleaners for poplars. I have some of the ‘bump’ variety which have a bit of shape to them.
      Probably do an order to Leven for buildings. TBM do a very nice monastery but it’s quite a lot for a single building.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Well, the die is cast and all that! Glad you have made a decision and one I thought you would make too and nice that you don't need too many bases to achieve your aim. In the past I've gone OOT on the size of my armies, leaving me somewhat stumped on how I'm ever going to finish them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I’ll be crossing the Rubicon. Or should that be the Portatore?
      Of course, theres the Piedmontese to do as well…..it’s never finished is it? 🙄
      Chris

      Delete
  4. That is a neat idea, and gets you into a whole new theatre of war, with lots of nice scenery options.. I look forward to seeing them in action, in due course..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you won’t have long to wait. Order placed for the troops (inc enough for the Piedmontese on same basis as the Spanish).
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a good compromise which will allow you to do the Punic and Peloponesian war to add to Piedmont oh and Persian!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get thee behind me Satan!
      Well the order for the WAS troops has gone in - that can be my birthday present. I need to have the conversation with the Margravina about Christmas, so who knows.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Chris, I'm glad the idea had some merit; you found a compromise that means less expense and painting. You just have to paint the new stands to match the old ones.......! ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea has lots of merit. I wish I’d thought of it when I started the current basing convention. Should be fairly straightforward to blend the new and old since the French weren’t painted that long ago.
      Thanks for the inspiration.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. I think in 6mm you can get away with lots of stuff, my Russian WW2 infantry has played as British a fair few times !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not wrong there. But I think I get away with more than I really do because I am colour-blind.

      Delete