Friday 28 July 2023

Off track

I was supposed to be thinking about a post on the Bloody Big Battles blog, but I got sidetracked. Easily done these days. The distraction came about by looking at recently taken photos on my phone.

A couple of weeks back I was walking with the Margravina in Richmond Park, where there’s always something new to see. In the gardens of Pembroke Lodge I saw one of those benches which people sponsor on behalf of the departed. This one caught my eye particularly because of the dedication.

The name wasn’t familiar so I resolved to investigate later. Something I forgot about until now*. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sommerfeld_tracking

My WWII knowledge is patchy so this was news to me. Doubly intriguing because the chap was a German expat at the time and his invention was used against his former homeland. What was the backstory to his arrival in Britain?

What’s also noteworthy in my opinion, is that Britain supplied 44.5m yards (!) of the tracking to the US in reverse lend-lease. Reverse L-L was something I was aware of thanks to James Holland on his We Have Ways of Making You Talk blog. I think he said something like 30% of US war matériel in NW Europe was supplied by the UK.

* one of the things that distracted me at the time was this amazing flower which even the Margravina couldn’t identify. It’s about 40-50mm diameter to give you an idea of size.



14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I don’t. I just read the blog now and again.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Interesting post, could it be an Alium ?
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s like a miniature alien, but the Margravina wasn’t sure it was, and she’s the horticulturist.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Interesting little bit of WWII history and it's a very cool looking flower, whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a cool little flower (echinops). And an interesting idea for a model (that Sommerfeld tracking).
      Chris

      Delete
  4. I miss playing BBB and keep meaning to paint up some 6mm mdf (on both sides) with some of the maps from the books. Just another project I've failed to even start!

    Fascinating piece of history and his wife lived to be over a 100 according to the inscription. When I first read the 44.5 yards, I thought what use was that, having missed the 'm' part of it!

    As for the flower, it could be an Echinops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many options and so little time.
      You’re correct. The Gardener now tells me that she knew all along! And who am I to cast nasturtiums on her honesty.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Two flowers in the last sentence, very good, and nice to see someone else using the 'casting nasturtiums' phrase!

      Delete
    3. 😄 Glad(ioli) you got my allusion!

      Delete
  5. Echinops AKA Globe Thistle my other half reliability informs me......
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed the post. My wife thinks that it is Echinops as well.

    ReplyDelete