Wednesday 5 July 2023

18th Century Reading

There's not been much painting or modelling activity here at the Schloß Nundanket. Any wargaming has come courtesy of the Wells of Washington, Jonathon of the Palouse Wargaming Journal, who has been running on-line re-fights of the First Battle of the Bull Run. I had the pleasure during the games of the company of noted bloggers Messrs Broom (https://mudbloodandsteel.blogspot.com/2023/06/get-yer-tots-out-for-lads.html), 'In-Suffolk' (https://russetcoatcpt.blogspot.com/2023/06/fnurban-24-east-riding-military.html), Foy (http://prometheusinaspic.blogspot.com/2023/06/wss-eichenfeld-noch-einmal.html) and Napoleon Dave (https://stcyronwheels.blogspot.com) for the games. Won one lost one, since you ask.

My current excuse for not doing much in the way of wargaming activity is being involved in taking the young mistresses of the Schloß to university open days, and visiting the West Country branch of the family to raid their garden equipment before they do their flit to Lincolnshire where, ironically, they won't need anything beyond one of those misters and a jug.


I have been making slow, but steady progress through the batch of books I bought last month. So far I've read The Army of George II and More Furies Than Men, and I'm currently on the Hagist book on British flank battalions in the AWI. The book by Brown on the British army of George II is excellent - almost tempted to say it does for that army what Duffy did for the armies of Frederick and Maria-Theresa. I would recommend it for anyone interested in the period and especially if you want to model a British army. The central thesis of the book is that the army was more more professional than is normally portrayed, including its officers.

The book on the Irish brigade I found harder going. It is good on Franco-Irish relations (not as warm as you might think, both being enemies of England) and on the importance of patronage within the Irish regiments. I found my interest waning in the chapter on the way contemporaries portrayed the Irish brigade, especially when it seemed to disappear down the rabbit hole of what this or that poet said in response to some other poet. But I admit, this is a subjective view and it's a case of what floats your boat. As with the British army book, the author researched the subject thoroughly.

As I said above, I'm currently reading the Don Hagist book on British grenadiers and light troops of the AWI. I've been thinking about getting the book since I listened in on the Helion virtual book launch a couple of years ago. Again, this is thoroughly researched and great background for the period. You don't need to read this, or the other two, of course. You could happily wargame the period without it. For me, it adds to the interest though and gives some great insights.

I think next up will be the Pattern (another of the Helion virtual book launches I 'attended'). Going by the book launch, it will be packed with interesting research. Maybe it's time I got the table out.

20 comments:

  1. Good assortment of 18th Century reading material, Chris. Just what is needed to get the juices flowing. Good prices too! The only one I have out of your quintuplet is Pagan's book. Got that from a ebook sale not that long ago. I still prefer hardcopy but the book was deeply discounted and shipping was very high.

    You commanded your troops well in both of our recent First Manassas games. They have all been great fun for me.

    If you can take more, I am considering focusing attention on elements of Gettysburg next. Perhaps you would rather dip back into either WAS, SYW, or AWI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me! I bought a couple of ebooks a few months ago and have completely forgotten about them. Out of sight out of mind.
      Gettysburg sounds good Jon. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. As you know, not much action on the gaming front here either Chris. However our wonderful hobby can carry on via reading too, so thanks for your thoughts on these books. I have found Helion to be very variable, especially the earlier ones as they didn't employ an editor, which some of the books could have really, really done with. Mind you the recent purchase of the Osprey book on Leros in WWII was very, very hard going, where you couldn't see the wood for the trees:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about the lack of editing. That’s why the Pagan book will be just a reference book.
      I know next to nothing about Leros. A rare German victory in 1943!
      Chris

      Delete
  3. You certainly have a fair bit of reading to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half-way through now. I ought to save one for my Summer holiday! I bet I don’t though 😄
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Ooh like the AWI one. I’ll order that when I get my toy soldier money on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice-looking selection of books there Chris - I was wondering as I read the title of your post, if you had been for a walk around the historic areas of a city in Berkshire.....! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😆
      I genuinely thought, when I first saw the title, that the film Burn After Reading was about putting your foot down on the M4.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Interesting stuff: high praise indeed for 'The Army of George II'. I might be tempted by that, though I admit no rush to add the British to my armies for the period. Anyway, thanks for the mini-reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gowoooon! You know you want to.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. With all that reading that must all your hobby time taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waste a lot of time watching old comedies on Freeview Channel 65.
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Helton certainly is publishing a large array of books on historical subjects. All the ones I have gotten have been well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Peter. Your comment has been sat in the ether for a week, flagged as ‘spam’. Clearly it’s not.
      I agree, Helion have been a boon to military history publishing.
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete
  9. Interesting selection of books, you've got to have poetry to go with the Irish exile forces, in many ways Austria seemed to benefit more than France, there was even an Irish born Austrian general during the Napoleonic wars, in Istria I think, plus the various regiments with Irish Colonels.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see where you’re coming from re poetry 😄. But this lot were mostly French.
      The Austrians did very well with Irish officers in the 18th C too. Max von Browne (born in CH actually) and Franz Moritz von Lacy (born St Pete’s) sons of Wild Geese both made Field Marshal, and General Karl O’Donnell, Count of Tyrconnel, were the most notable.
      Browne collaborated well with the British in the Med during the 1740s - ironically they referred to each other as compatriots.
      Chris

      Delete