Wednesday 19 July 2023

Bat-oh!

Knocked up a mock up of a ‘bateau’ for the wars on the American Continent. This was a quick test to see if I could do something. The answer was ‘I can’ but there’s room for improvement.



Materials were an empty cereal packet, some cocktail sticks, paper and Blutak to hold stuff in place temporarily. And a sharp knife (after an abortive attempt with a blunt one).

The basic idea was to make something that can hold a base of my AWI chaps (2x3cm base). Functionality is more important than looks. At the back of my mind I had Dave Crook’s stylised ships for the late 29 18th century. What I’m basing the design on is a simple ‘bateau’ of the type used on the rivers and lakes of North America in the F&I wars, the AWI and War of 1812. Bateaux had pointy bits at both ends and were flat bottomed to aid portability across land. Some had sails as well as oars and varied greatly in size. They were used to move men, weapons and supplies. Some even seemed to have little ‘canon’.

The plan is to maybe make a fleet of 30ish for use in amphibious operations - prompted by my reading of ‘These Distinguished Corps’ by Don Hagist. The book is a history of flank battalion operations in the American Revolution. The Lights and Grenadiers seemed to do an awful lot of bobbing about in boats in the AWI, do I thought ‘why not?’

Now on to the critique:
The gunwales are too low for the figures. I need to up these from 5mm.
I need a good method of gluing the gunwales and pointy bits to each other. Not sure how.
Ditto the mast.
The oars and rudder handle could do with being thinner - maybe thick wire is the answer.
And maybe more of them.
And one or two ‘crew’.
Obviously it needs a paint job.
I might need bases for them (c 12x6cm) to protect them from handling.

But overall it looks workable!


17 comments:

  1. A good little prototype. I sometimes use painters masking tape to hold stuff together, then coat with PVA glue, before painting. It may be easier than gluing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a good idea Peter. Thanks. If I put masking tape all around it might also give it a bit of texture.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve commented "A good start there Chris. If you want some advice from an old modelmaker, drop me a line at: [and then left an email address which I sjddenly realised I perhaps shouldn't post. Doh!]
      Thanks Steve. Will have to take you up on that kind offer.

      Delete
    2. I couldn't see a contact you option, hence putting in the e-mail details, but thanks for removing it nonetheless! Look forward to hearing from you soon.

      Delete
  3. A good beginning, I look forward to seeing this develop…
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start, though I don't think she be a sea-worthy craft just yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little bit of caulking will sort that out :-)

      Delete
  5. Well that’ll keep you busy for a wee while. Do you really need 30 ish? A bit worried that this has become the boat of choice in the 29th century. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did I say 29th? 😄 Whoops! In the 'future' the chaps in the red tops always get zapped on the 'away teams'. Bad news for the Brits then.
      I figured on 30 because that would hold 3 battalions worth. Each base being a company in LFAS. Thinking of getting a couple of ships in a smaller scale to represent the navy offshore.

      Delete
    2. You got me thinking. 30 will take up an awful lot of space. Looking at the size of the boats they could fit much more than 4 little fellas if only the buggers weren’t stood so far apart. I can justify half the number per bn but just plonk one base in each to represent 2 bases worth.
      You’ve saved me a lot of work. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Excellent idea to make a quick prototype first and put it on your blog to get some feedback! Not that I can help 😂
    It looks good enough for me and when you have 30 of them the quantity always adds an additional dimension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! You have discovered my cunning plan. Never underestimate the value of crowd sourcing ideas from the wargaming blogerati.
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete
  7. Good looking first go, what I was thinking of for 28mm fast and dirty viking ships was a base of foamboard cut to shape and then cardboard fixed to it, might be a bit easier for mass production!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That sounds much more sturdy too.
      Chris

      Delete