Tuesday 1 November 2022

Finished. Almost.

Off the production line comes eight and a half brigades of French infantry and half a brigade of cavalry. 18 bases in total. It was quick work, but very much a case of ‘never mind the quality feel the width’. And I didn’t enjoy doing them. It was more of a chore than before.

With the previous batches, this should give me enough French for Hastenbeck or Minden. I think I have enough Anglo-Hanoverians, with Prussians posing as Hessens and Brunswickers, for the same battles, or Austrians posing as Dutch (and themselves) for Fontenoy. 

I say ‘think’ and ‘should’ because I might have made an error or two in my calculations. From my recent order I have left a pack each of infantry and cavalry (enough in each for a brigade) plus odds and sods for another brigade of infantry and half-brigade of cavalry. I shall have to conduct a review against the orbats. 

Post Script: I took an inventory this evening. I do have enough French and Anglo-Hanovarians. The Anglo-Hanovarian foot are all flagged as British, however, but I have enough for the combined numbers. Though I'm tempted to paint up some more as the King's loyal German subjects.

The ‘almost’ in the post title is because I have to paint the flags on the Hanoverian cavalry and on ALL of the French. Hence all the white flags in the picture below.

This is before the glue dried on the grass.

For this last batch of French infantry I experimented with a light grey coat colour. Not having a light enough grey, I mixed the lightest shade (Vallejo Wolf Grey) with white. It still might be a touch too dark but it’ll do.

One side note. In a logistics cock-up worthy of the Russian army, I neglected to order any more 60x30mm MDF bases. This was despite already having had to glue together bases for the last batch as I’d run out of the right size. Doh-ski! I had nearly enough small bases that I could glue together for the above lot. However, I was still short and had to prise some wagons off the supply train that I prepared the other year.

Despite the misgivings above, I should give myself a pat on the back for largely knocking out two SYW armies in the last three and a half months.


24 comments:

  1. I’ll give you a pat on the back too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look very nice and well done on completing the armies.
    Very Russian solution to your basing problem, cannibalise the logistic forces for the front line 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing! 😆

      Delete
  3. They do look good en masse, Chris! I think a pat on the back - and even a brief round of applause - are quite in order....well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think a big pat on the back is well deserved Chris! My painting mojo is low at present due to real life interventions, so always good to see others making progress on this front.

    On unrelated matters, we're enjoying watching Bordertown on Netflix, but struggle to pick up even the most basic Finnish words, compared to Danish or Swedish tv series. I keep thinking of some of your previous posts on the language when watching and realise it must be a nightmare to learn as I know it would be for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Real Life has the capacity to do that. I hope it’s nothing serious.
      I don’t think I’ve seen Bordertown. You’re right about the Finnish language. Not only are the basic words so different, the grammar (especially the case system) adds to the difficulty of understanding.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Bordertown is great - well worth watching. Something linguistic I learned was that there must be quite a close relationship between Estonian and German (I had assumed the Baltic states were all more Slavic) - because in one episode, the Finnish detectives were over in Estonia, and a marked police car was in shot - with the word politsei on the doors - almost exactly the same as the German polizei! (Actually, that was Deadwind, which is a different Finnish detective series on Netflix but also really good!)

      Delete
    3. Good spot Keith! You’re right that the Baltic states’ languages are not Slavic. However they fall into two camps: Latvian+Lithuanian are in one (‘Baltic’ which is part of the Indo-European family, ie related to Germanic, Romance, Slavic etc); and Estonian which is part of the Finno-Ugrian family and closely related to Finnish, but not to the Indo-European languages.
      Obviously they’re all influenced by other nearby languages (Eg Russian). The principal Germanic influence on Estonian comes from Swedish (used to be part of the Swedish empire). Presumably the Baltic Germans had an influence too. Politsei as you say, is closer to the German than Swedish (polis). Might be a bit of medieval Danish too as they colonised it before the Swedes.
      Sorry for the long digression!
      Chris

      Delete
    4. Magyar (Hungarian) is Finno-Ugrian (Finno-Uralic?) too. I did read somewhere many moons ago how they are related yet quite far apart geographically, but can't remember where! Lappish (Lapland) is unsurprisingly closely related as well.

      Delete
    5. That’s the way I understand it too Keith. Think the hierarchy is Finnic (Finnish, Estonian, Ingrian, Karelian, some minority languages in NE Russian Federation) then Finno-Ugrian (above plus Magyar (and some more minority languages in Russian Federation). Not sure where the Sámi languages (apparently 9 of them!*) fit, but they’re in there somewhere. Then the next group up is the Uralic family which includes more Samoyedic languages in northern Russia.
      * incredible linguistic diversity for such a small population. Check out the different versions of the Sámi ‘National’ anthem. Some of them are more than a little bit different from each other.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. That's really impressive - my painting effort at the moment is what might be described as intermittent - perhaps "occasional" is nearer. Cracking right through a project is very satisfying (as I remember!). They look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. It is satisfying to complete a project. Even more when you can enjoy the process (“it’s not the destination it’s the journey, man”).

      Delete
  6. Given that the French King's colour was a white cross on white, at this scale you could be forgiven for just leaving them white.....
    I'm sure less charitable reasons could be provided to reflect the average performance of the French line in the SYW....☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a very good point! Maybe a very faint grey outline for the cross.
      The Swiss regimental colours are a whole different ballgame.

      Delete
  7. Definitely a pat on the back! They all look good en masse, confident about Plymouth in the FA cup, your dus some giant killing aren't you?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Confident? No. You're right it's a long time since we killed any giants (Spurs in 2005). Argyle are going well in L1, though I'm not sure I'd have them in the 'Giant' category :-)

      Delete
  8. Lovely figures and bases Chris, marvellous!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. Much appreciated.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. Impressive new troops. Looking forward to your next battles using them.

    ReplyDelete