Friday 22 July 2022

The French have arrived

Well actually a few days ago. I have slowly been prepping them for undercoating. It took about five hours in all. Was hoping to spray them on Friday but it’s looking distinctively wet in the weather forecast.

Here they are. In my basing convention there is sufficient for 11 1/2 brigades of infantry, 8 1/2 brigades of cavalry, 3 brigades of artillery and 5 command bases. 2 bases per brigade - the figures are spaced out and will condense down to 40% of the space when finished.

More than enough for the French contingent at Rossbach, well on the way to having enough for Fontenoy and about half the number needed for Minden.

20 packs worth of metal from Heroics and Ros 

Unlike my usual practice of having separate combined grenadier units, I’ve decided to add little grenadier companies to each base. I’m also adding a mounted officer in each brigade of infantry, contrary to what I did with the Prussians and Austrians. Just because.

Yes, I know these are not the toy pics you were expecting. They will be up at the weekend.

15 comments:

  1. Ah, yes! For you, is 1 BMU = 1 Base = 1 Brigade?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 bases = 1 BMU = 1 brigade (4/5 battalions or 10-ish squadrons)
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Great looking work, now the painting 🤔looking forward to seeing them fight👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fighting is a while off yet. Got to work out colour schemes. And flags.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. I will follow the preparation and painting of these diminutive fellows with interest..
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of these little fellahs is you don’t need to paint buttons!

      Delete
  4. Oooh you’re going to be busy with the old paint brush for a while there. I often hide a portion of the work still to be done so I don’t get too discouraged along the way. I’m sure they’ll look ace and at that scale you always get the mass effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer it all out in the open, so to speak. I do production batch painting, so they’ll all get faces and hands together. Except the horses of course. Bayonets and swords will all get done together too.
      Coat colours will be a bit more varied (white-ish, red and blue). If this were Prussians or Austrians the coats would all get done at the same time.
      Takes longer to get a unit done but once you’ve done one your army is nearly ready.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Looks like a decent horde....you should have them knocked out in a couple of weeks, don't you think?!😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Shouldn’t take too long once I get started. Don’t expect your standards of painting though Keith! 😄
      Chris

      Delete
  6. That’s a lot of miniatures to paint at once! I always break things down into smaller batches as to not go (more) insane. Or get discouraged by them staring at me while sitting on the hobby desk. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Stew. I know what you mean! But then again I am insane already.

      I'm pretty effective when I get going. 2/3 of these will be in white coats, and it's a pretty impressionistic style (in other words 'slapdash' 🙄) for this scale. The bit that slows it all down are the horses.

      Delete
  7. Good to have a complete army already to rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s one of the beauties of this scale.
      Chris

      Delete