Saturday 2 July 2022

The French are coming!

Heroics & Ros have their SYW and Marlborough Wars ranges back on sale, so I placed my long planned order for enough French to do Rossbach. This is phase 1.  I intend to expand the numbers when I have painted and based the first batch.

Phase 2 will be to build up enough for Fontenoy, which will give me the excuse to get some redcoats. Then all being well, Phase 3 will be the additional amount needed for Minden. Of course I'll have to sort out some Dutch too for Fontenoy. Prussians will stand in for the minor German states at Minden and Rossbach (as well as 'playing themselves'). Austrians will be, well, Austrians, and any white coated Reichsarmee (if there were any at Rossbach).

Most but not all of the 6mm range


I've mainly ordered SYW Austrians for the French, but have included some Marlburian period French for variety. I especially want the dragoons in those 'bedcap' style forage hats. Just because I like them. The Marlborough and Staff pack has been ordered because I want the Frenchies to be more fancy looking than the Germanic types.

Maybe it's mad doing another white army at this scale - it probably won't be easy telling the difference from the Austrians. But at least the French army included red-coated Swiss (Rossbach) and Irish (Fontenoy) and light-blue-coated Germans.

As a special treat, because I've been disciplined all these years, I've ordered myself a pack of Bosniaken (the Prussian fake Balkan lancers). Their track record as a unit was rubbish, but they look good!

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant plan and Hooray for sales! Old Glory is having a "Christmas in July" sale and I plan to add more 15mm SYW bags for my project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Christmas in July’ I like the sound of that. Must be what it’s like Down Under. Chrimbo on the beach!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good excuse to splurge ! Logically, it should really be around 25 June, the equipoint between Christmas...but the whole of July is better for customers! As to your new 6mm project, I am looking forward to seeing that take shape over the next few months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Of course it means keeping my unfinished castle on the to do list though.

      Delete
  3. Look forward to following your progress. Well done for buying some Bosinaken, they will serve you well I am sure . I do like the exotic and the under dog on the table top.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I originally didn't get any because they didn't exist long as a full regiment. But after 35 years of 6mm SYW, I think I deserve to get some!

      Delete
  4. Lordy hell mate you’d better get some extra brushes in. Just about to put a big order in myself. The winter painting season beckons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😄 I'd better put in a call to Max Foy to see if he's got any more of those HMSO brushes.

      Delete
  5. That sounds very exciting. I will follow your way to Fontenoy.

    ReplyDelete