Tuesday 29 September 2020

Reasons to be cheerful

I was going to go with this post title even before I saw Tradgardmastare’s punning title. You’ll see why by the end of the post.

My walks (and related posts) have reduced in length and frequency since August. One, the days are getting shorter so there’s less daylight after work. Two, the frequency of late work calls has gone up, with a general increase in busy-ness. Three, exercise of a more vigorous nature has taken over (although this trend went back to early August).

The opportunity to take some time off work arose and after my bike and swim, and a few chores, my wife and I went for a walk in Richmond Park. Ladderstile gate to Pembroke Lodge and back to be precise.

Things are looking and sounding more Autumnal. We haven’t got really bright leaf colours yet, but the fern has started to die back and conkers are strewn over the ground. As for Autumnal sounds, well I heard my first proper stag bellow of the rutting season at the weekend, when I was peddling through Bushy Park. I then saw the big brute charge another male that was standing some way off. As with a lot of charges, it didn’t actually lead to actual contact as the defender (LMD*) opted to evade. Today we heard some serious bellowing in Richmond Park, so be careful out there.

* I believe that would be the correct WRG Ancients term for it: Light Medium Deer.

After a coffee at the Pembroke Lodge cafeteria we strolled by an area of the gardens known in the family as ‘the Squirrels’ from the times when we used to walk there with my eldest when he was very small. Sadly the area concerned is fenced off (look but don’t touch) now, so no more opportunities for small boys to chase squirrels and pigeons around the base if trees.

Here are a few pics taken along the way.







 




Bench at Poets' Corner. I hope you can make out the words engraved.

 


The whole ensemble. The words are carved in the benches to the right. The plaque in the background has some (to my mind) awful poetry. Though don't take my word for it as I don't know a foot from a metre.

Ah! But this is what we've come for.

 


Some explanation. I didn't try to listen today. Years ago, when the bench was first installed, I liked to take my head phones to plug in. 


As ever, the main reason to be cheerful was with me on the walk. Educating me on the Latin names for various plants, and being very calmly companionable.

6 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable walk in your footsteps, thanks for posting it. The close ups of the signage are really interesting. I’ll believe you about the title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. We’re lucky to have this on the doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I seem to remember a radio programme interview with the guy who’s idea it was. I think he was an art student and family friend of Dury.

      Delete
  4. Another fine stroll about your countryside. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete