Saturday 5 September 2020

Book acquisitions

I had a little spree recently on the Oxfam online shop. The books arrived over the last few days and now join the pile of unread material.

Unfortunately they’ll have to wait a while as I started reading LOTR again in the meanwhile. Progress has been slow as I spent most of 3 days in bed* with the ‘lurgy’ (not Covid). Whilst a day laid up might sound like a great opportunity to read I could only manage a few pages at a time before I wanted to go back to sleep again.

Anyway here they are (joining one book from a previous order that I haven’t read since it arrived).

This is an excellent book and got me on my way with a he ECW 3 years ago. I’ve had it from the library a couple of times, so I feel less guilty about it sitting unread for a while.

A couple of old books with that really thick paper they used to use. The Rupert book is a 1934 edition - newish compared to the Henty book.

Dedication inside the Henty book. I first heard of this book a few years ago on another blog (which one escapes me). It’s one of FOUR novels published in 1898 by Henty!

A couple of volumes that are the nearest I’ve got to primary sources for the ECW. Both are from the Royalist dude, late is him the first Civil War.

* this has dealt as a blow to my exercise target for September. So my watchword is ‘make hay while the sun shines’. I.E. get out there when I can.

6 comments:

  1. Nice looking collection of books! Online 2nd hand books is frankly dangerous territory, I avoid them like a recovering addict!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t think there was too much damage to the credit card. Honest. I can give it up. I can stop any time I want. Can’t I?

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better. I fall asleep reading after only a page or two read most nights and I am not even sick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant during the days.

      But yes, feeling much better thanks, but the walk into town today was tiring.

      Delete
  3. There's an Oxfam online bookshop? Oh dear, perhaps I had better keep away from that! Half my huge book backlog is just from the local charity shops..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always say it’s just for charidee

      Delete