Monday 18 May 2020

More on dialect

This post was sparked off by the title of tradgardmastare’s post about finding an antidote to flitting between different projects.

https://tradgardland.blogspot.com/2020/05/an-antidote-to-extreme-flitting.html?m=1

Flitting was a word that was more common when I was growing up. I’ve rarely heard it since leaving home but that’s probably because I’ve spent the vast  majority of my adult life in the south east of England. I might be staying the bleeding obvious here, so apologies for that, but I will hide behind the defence that it’s best not to assume everyone knows what I’m writing  about.

To flit simply means to move. And tradgardmastare was using it in a way derived from this meaning although it seems to have the connotation of making small, even ‘trivial’* movements from one thing to another. You can almost hear the alliteration with ‘flutter’ as in butterfly wings fluttering as it flits from flower to flower. It also triggers thoughts of flying, alliteration apparently involved again. You often hear or see ‘flit’ being used in this way. But you rarely see it (or I rarely see or hear it) in the wider sense of ‘to move’. Like a lot of dialect words, it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

* Incidentally I don’t think the said esteemed blogger’s movement from one hobby project to another is trivial. No more so than any of us sitting down to mega painting sessions churning out units in a singleminded drive to ‘complete a project’. And neither do I think he needs an antidote for it.

Now when I was a kid (and note I don’t use the classic ‘Northern’ phrase of ‘when I were a lad’, simply because that wasn’t how people from that part of northern Lincolnshire spoke) I intuitively understood that ‘flit’ was not standard English.  I never heard a teacher or any authority figure use the term. What I didn’t understand was that flit had a wider meaning of ‘move’**. You see in my world (working class, council estate) I associated ‘flit’ with the phrase “they’ve done a flit. They owed the council weeks and weeks of rent”. Often these flits seemed to be done by “moonlight” to add to the sense of adventure around the miscreants being tutted about. So in my mind it was associated with one very narrow sense of moving. I assumed it was ‘slang’ and ‘common’ in the pejorative sense.

Now many years later Rouva Nundanket and I took to watching Scandi Noir dramas on BBC4, her occasionally remembering the odd phrase and enjoying the grey interiors (only joking, I like them too) and me so I can indulge my biased view that everything is done better in those countries. In one detective series I thought I heard the word ‘flit’ and saw the associated text which contained ‘move’ or ‘moved’ and a quick check (yes that does mean move). Subsequent checks revealed that something like ‘at flytte’ or variants of it means the same thing in all Scandinavian languages. So a word with a common Norse root and a proper word, albeit one that, in the way of many English words which have synonyms, has come to have a specific narrower usage.

Latest edition of my ECW Rules?


I guess the word ‘flit’ was/is also widespread across the rest of the old Danelaw and parts of Scotland. I’d be interested to hear if this is the case and if it’s still in usage. And are there any uses that don’t have negative connotations?


** though not in an emotional sense: ‘that song really flitted me’ is not a phrase I’ve ever come across.
*** I also wonder if the word is linked with the words to flee and flight - when they are fleeing are our little routers engaging in a variant of ‘flitting’ (moonlit or otherwise)?

Late edit: Interesting feedback. So 'flit' in the sense of moving house is not just northern English but more widespread. I'd be interested if anyone in the west of the country, Wales or in Scotland or even farther afield, was familiar with the term, and if it was used in any other way.

12 comments:

  1. Interesting. I'm interpreting you to mean 'move home' rather than just move in general, and if so then it's certainly not a usage that I ever came across as a child in London, other than in the context of doing a moonlight flit.

    Still, can't spend too long on the subject; as Dorothy Parker said "Time doth flit; oh shit."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do mean move home in the sense I heard it as a kid. Usually implied “with no forwarding address”.

      Looks like it was more widespread a term than I thought then. I’ve not heard it down south.

      Delete
  2. Growing up in north London moonlight flit was pretty standard, think it must have permeated down south!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was much more common (widespread, not, you know, as in ‘dead common’) than I thought.

      Strange that I’ve never heard it for decades.

      Delete
    2. I guess it wasn't used much by younger people, it was a bit old fashioned even then I think.
      Best Iain

      Delete
  3. Interesting post and I am glad my title gave you food for thought. When I was growing up the word was used for moving house and just that. My mother would use it thus. I as have a hobby butterfly now almost exclusively think of it in those terms. The scandi info was particularly interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it might be up your “gade” Tradgardmastare given the history and culture of the Duchy.

      Delete
  4. Great post. When I was a small kid, I was only aware of Flit as a propriety brand of insect killer - it came in a small hand-pump - a "flit-gun", which I think is still used to describe such a hand pump amongst the very elderly. When I moved to Edinburgh, I found that flitting was what people did when they moved house - it was informal, but it was universal - there was even a noun, as in "there having a flitting on Wednesday".

    It does mean move, I guess, but it also implies a going away in Scots usage (or Old English, or Norse, or...) - I assumed it was one of the classic Scots participles, such as feart (afraid), kilt (killed) and various others - in Glasgow you may still hear arrestit, I think, and you can find examples in the writings of Alexander Leven, the Covenanter general - it's just an old form, and I doubt if it is purely Scottish. These participles are in wider use anyway - we can say burnt or burned, I think.

    I do think it is more specific than just moving generally - it implies a movement away, and I would guess it is a close relative of "fled", so probably fleeing rather than travelling. I checked out my big Langenscheidt (pardon me!), looking for similar German modern words, but didn't find much that was very close. Flüchten, to flee, maybe, or fluchtartig, which is a related adjective meaning hurried, rushed.

    Yes, I think that your Flitting section in the ECW rules would be mostly about running away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. More good for thought. Flit seems to be more of an east than west Britain thing then based on this unrepresentative sample.

      I hadn’t thought of the T-D sound shift. In the Grimsby area ta-ta is pronounced ta-da.

      Looking at the Wiktionary explanation it’s definitely closer to the Norse branch than the Germanic. Wiktionary gives the participle for English and Scots as flitted and flittit respectively. The ed/it ending must be one of those later (and superfluous) additions.

      Delete
  5. Out west (topmost left corner of the USA), I have only heard the term, ‘flit,’ to mean move quickly from one position to another. For example, “the hummingbird flit from one flower to another.” Of course, I tend to flit from one project to another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that’s the most common usage nowadays Jonathan, including over here. I’m wondering though if there are any pockets of the US where the older senses of the word are still current. Like when you still use the (more correct) older form ‘I have gotten’ while we have cut down the past participle to ‘got’.

      Delete