Thursday 7 May 2020

Baggage train WIP

In preparation for the next FaceTime game on Friday, I've made a start on the baggage train plus some other bits and pieces.

45 head of cattle, 4 sets of six oxen. Never mind the bullocks, the horses need painting. Mixture of Baccus, Irregular and H&R (I think).

The horses at the front haven't been painted yet. And the chinchilla dust needs to be shaken off when the PVA is dry. Then it needs to be sealed and touched up with 3 levels of highlighting, before having a dab of flock. Probably need something to go in the ox carts. Old blutak suitably shaped and painted should do the trick (see carts near the front).

Progress was also made on the siege bits and pieces. The guns, mortars and crew were painted several years ago but I made some new bases from matchsticks standing in for decking. I experimented before hand with paper stuck to MDF and scored with a sharp knife. It looked OK but I preferred the version with matches.

These won't be in the game on Friday. Pontoons and bridge sections in shot to be fixed to the horse drawn carts above.

I need to do something more with the bases that the crew came on to make them blend in more. Should probably have trimmed them down more first. Must think things through in future.

Finish this lot off and there's just 30 sappers to base. That will mean two more jobs from the to-do list finished. I'm happy with that.

Edit: finished baggage train.



Have attempted to make some mottis for my 10mm models. Motti is a Finnish  word for a stack of chopped wood totalling about 1 cubic metre. The word is found in the term Motti Tactics used by Finns in the Winter War. Although there are other theories on the origin of the term, I like the stacked wood one.

https://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=185845

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273550370_Motti_Tactics_in_Finnish_Military_Historiography_since_World_War_II



8 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a HUGE baggage train! You make great progress and I await seeing the finished results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid wagon trains/ transportation elements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff. Are the bridge sections made from coffee stirrers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a while to figure out what you meant. I was thinking that cutting up the ‘stick’ part and sticking the pieces side by side would have been too much effort, then I remembered I made some mottis (wood stacks) for my 10mils today 😄. The bridge sections are metal, from H&R they think.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic looking baggage train! Lovely siege artillery too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Iain. They’ve been in the cupboard for years. Getting them done is another Lockdown Dividend.

      Delete
  5. I like the matchsticks idea.

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assuming you mean the bases for the siege pieces then I got the idea from that redoubt you built.

      Delete