Sunday 6 October 2019

Hexed up

Finally sat down today to sketch out some full-sized hexes on paper to see how my toys look. I sketched out hexes 12cm across the flats.

Unit of 4 troops. OK Space wise.
Battalia of foot. Still OK on space.
Horse in 'Dutch' order

Double-sized horse unit (8 troops) - looking too crowded



Now with added buildings - apart from the cottage, top left, these are the biggest toy buildings in my stock. The hexes are distinctly crowded.  H&R 6mm SYW infantry top right and bottom left; Pendraken ECW foot bottom right.
Famous historical buildings from Prague, Leuthen, Borodino and err...Grimsby (card model of Victoria Mills bought from the Fishing Heritage Centre about 10 years ago).


So hexagons 12cm across the flats are probably a tad too small for my toys if I want to add built up areas. A similar picture emerges with my woods. So I reverted to the Super-Fantastisch Hexagon Calculator mentioned in the last post. I found that hexagons slightly under 13cm across the flats were 15cm point-to-point (or 15cm along the long diamter). That'll do. It means slightly fewer hexes deep on my table top, but this will do for a few trials. I'll probably get some bigger boards.

I set-to mapping out a grid on my green felt cloth. This proved to be tricky. Partly because I'm an idiot who didn't use his brain so made a few errors, but also because it is a difficult thing to work with. I laid the cloth out on the living room floor rug which kept the cloth in place. When I got to 3/4 of the way through I had to move the cloth along but I don't think I had it so securely in place, so some of the hexes look a bit smaller. Ne'er mind. The great thing about hexes is they are just meant to represent the relative postion of playing pieces to each other so they don't have to be spot on. A properly accurate grid would look better (no pictures) but it does the job.

I'll crack on and convert my ECW rules first and have a trial game next Sunday as football beckons again - the Mighty [sic.] Mariners are at Stevenage, which is within my self-imposed travel-time limit of 2 hours. I will also have a re-read of Monsieur Foy's ECW Variant of Command and Colors, with a view to trying them out.

Before I go, I'll leave you with a face on shot of the Prague buildings (name escapes me) I bought on a work trip there a few years back. I love this model. Early Modern Mittel Europa at its finest. Just begging for a siege game.

H&R 6mm Jägers in front; Pendraken 10mm ECW foot to the right.


A bientot!


7 comments:

  1. I like the shot with added buildings! Now I'm playing to the strongest! None of my terrain fits in the boxes!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it doesn't really matter if they do as long as it's clear which hex or hexes they are meant to be in. As I'm starting from scratch so it gives me the chance to tweak things a bit.

      Delete
  2. It is a tricky job drawing up hexes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to throw a monkey-wrench into the works, yet here goes ...

    I designed my own hexes, based on the geo-hex system commercially available. They are 30cm AF (across flats), I did this so that I could co-ordinate and cooperate with other gamers that had the geo-hex system.

    Since that time we have moved away from each other, and I have expanded the collection, maintaining the hex size.

    I find that I can use them with any scale, from 15mm to 72mm (with some stacking to make the 'hills' look right).

    I suggest this as I saw you could only get 1 'unit' in the hexes you are planning on, while with the 30cm AF, two units could 'fight' or 'maximum stack' a hex.

    Just tossing out some food for thought.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Murdock. You've not thrown a monkey-wrench into the works at all. All comments and suggestions welcome.

      I had Command and Colors* in mind when I was deciding what size hexes to go for. C&C doesn't permit stacking. The standard 'board' for C&C is 13 x 9 hexes and I have limited space available so I had to limit the size of the hexes.

      I thought about commercial hexes but didn't want to commit to the expenditure until I'd trialled a few games, and I couldn't find a size that suits me.

      * specifically I'm planning to try Max Foy's ECW variant of the C&C system. If it goes well, I'll think about a SYW adaptation with brigade size units (2 of my SYW bases would be 12cm wide so same size as my ECW foot regiments).

      Delete