Sunday 9 June 2024

National Army Museum

I finished work early, for a change, on Thursday, and headed over to Royal Hospital Road and got there for the last hour of opening time. It felt somehow appropriate on that day. I hardly saw another visitor and virtually had the place to myself (and the staff who work there). This meant I was free to move around and linger as long as I liked at any exhibit. I took a few photos, most of which are below. Hope you enjoy them.

I always liked these


Rifled muzzle-loaded field gun. It looked smoothbore, but if you look closely at the picture below, you can just about make out the rifling.


Hot weather shako cover from the West Indies

Fort in Guadeloupe, 1759

Sepoy. Late 18th C?

Balls from Plassey, IIRC

Tipu Sultan's headdress



Officer's uniform, Bengal Lancers, late 19thC. One of my favourite exhibits.

Lightweight suit for servicemen flying on civilian aircraft to the Far East. c.1950. something I never would have expected.

Beret and smock of WO1 'Dia' Harvey, SAS, c 1982. Did part of a 4-man patrol that was inserted behind Argentinian lines, 3 weeks before the British landings on the Falkland Islands.

7.62mm SLR (late 1950s) and (disposable) AT rocket launcher (1970s)

Doglock (flintlock) pistol from the ECW period.

Sorry this is off-centre but I wanted to capture the caption. General George Monck.

General Hugh MacKay, opponent of the Jacobites in the Williamite War.

George Hamilton, Earl of Orkney, of Marlburian War fame. Painting from c 1724, when Orkney was a Field Marshall.

No prizes for guessing who this full-figured young prince is.

Humber 'Pig', in a section on the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

Remote controlled bomb disposal robot.

SLR, 'riot gun' with baton round, home-made SMG (used by the Ulster Volunteer Force - 'Loyalist'
 terror group).  Just off picture, top-left, is an 'Armalite' rifle used by the PIRA terrorists.

British Army's rules of engagement



A big jump back in time this. Coehorn mortar from 1790s.

6 pounder. Again 1790s, despite the picture in the background.

Dragoon pistol. Can't recall the details. c 1760 I think.

Samples of the figures from Sibonne's Waterloo model

La Haye Sainte from the Siborne model

Hougoumont

Collection of headgear as seen from underneath a helicopter!. Another of my favourite pieces. This reminds me of a day I spent at Bovington Camp in the 90s on a work thing. We did a presentation to a roomful of officers from various cavalry/armoured regiments and the range of uniforms on display was amazing. A fitting representation of the rich history of the British Army and the varied origins of units. 




19 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your photos, thanks for sharing them. The last time I was in the NAM I found the thematic as opposed to chronological nature of the displays a tad off putting.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. It doesn’t tell the story the same as a straight chronological approach does. But it does allow characters comparisons to be made across the ages within those themes, e.g. what soldiering was in the Empire.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Excellent photos Chris. I really enjoy it when people post photos of distant places of interest that I am unlikely to get to (again). I visited the National Army Museum on a trip to your shores in '76. The Siborne model was a highlight for a young maker of models and kid who enjoyed toy soldiers who was only just beginning his life-long interest in the Napoleonic era.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service James. We are lucky here with the access to museums and other places of historical interest*. Especially here in the capital. I need to take more advantage of it.
      * we’re not so lucky as you with the weather though 😉
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You’re most welcome Jon.

      Delete
  4. A nice place to visit Chris and thanks for sharing all the photos - my one and only trip to NAM was circa 2002, with my then brother-in-law who was stationed at the US Embassy in London (he was in the USN and living with my sister and their kids out at RAF High Wycombe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High Wycombe is handily placed Keith. London a short distance away, places like Oxford, Edgehill, Cropedy, Blenheim Palace close by and lovely countryside on the doorstep.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Haven't been to the NAM since 1990s - never in London long enough!
    Carrier - my dad was the driver of the flame thrower variant, the WASP.
    Sibborne looks like an early exponent of teddy bear fur terrain! No wonder they are becoming extinct if we've been at it that long! ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think the UC’s crews’ heads must have felt vulnerable. Especially the driver.

      You’ve got me thinking about new words for the teddy bears pincic song now!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Thanks very much for sharing this Chris. Great photos and very interesting.
    The diorama is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The diorama is fantastic, and the story of its development by Siborne is fascinating.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the tour!
    Looks like an interesting museum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Roger. It's well worth a visit if you're ever in London, and like most of the big museums and galleries in London, there is no entry charge.

      Delete
  8. A nice way to round off the working day Chris, with plenty of interesting exhibits:).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pictures Chris, thank you. I too was a bit underwhelmed by the 'new' NAM ( though the cafe is quite nice!), but they still have some good stuff if you can find it, and I must go and see that Bren Carrier..
    By chance I had a similar idea to you, I dropped in at the IWM last Thursday afternoon, it seemed appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Alan is coming from the same place as you on the new layout at NAM. The jury is out as far as I’m concerned, so another visit is in order.
      I thought the caff looked nice and it’s a good place to spend time. I was less convinced by the sarnies.
      Chris

      Delete