Monday 21 August 2023

Tartan without tears

I learned today how to paint 10mm Highlanders without getting in a tizzy over the tartan. Buy Pendraken (AWI) Highland Light Infantry. They come with trews, not kilts, and my guide to AWI uniforms shows me officers of the 42nd and 71st regiments in white trews. The only tartan on display is on their hat bands. And you don't expect me to paint tartan hat bands that are less than 1mm deep do you. Rhetorical question.

I mentioned a few posts ago that I read Don Hagist's 'These Distinguished Corps' on the British light infantry and grenadiers of the AWI. I was struck by the fact there was a whole combined battalion of Highland Light Infantry. As the Highland companies were so large, I think four companies was the equivalent of a small battalion. I needed some more bases for the unpainted SYW figures and AWI Light Dragoons I'd had for years. So at the same time as placing an order for bases from Pendraken I ordered a few packs of other bits and pieces. One of these was a pack of Highland Light Infantry Skirmishing.

Having done a 6mm unit based on the 42nd Foot (Black Watch) last year for my nascent British SYW army, I thought I'd maintain the tradition by making the new arrivals, the light companies of the 42nd. According to my guide, the turn backs were a natty white, and cuffs & hats blue. Here is the work in progress against a batch of SYW Austrians in 6mm.


Also on the painting desk are a unit of Queens Rangers (AWI Loyalists), British Light Dragoons in Tarleton helmets (my book shows them in 'Emden' helmets, but I like the comb of the Tarleton), a brigade of SYW Austrians*, and a brigade and a half's worth of SYW Hanoverians. The Austrians will be 'based on' the Rot Wurzburg regiment (strictly speaking a unit of the Reichsarmee), the Hanoverians on Alt-Zastrow and Stolzenberg regiments, and the light dragoons on the 17th LD (later the 17th Lancers of Death or Glory and Charge of the Light Brigade fame). The 17th in the AWI period had white turn backs, cuffs and lapels - nice!

* these are to replace the two old bases of Austrians that I slapped red coats on for the Fontenoy games.

Old Zastrow's boys in the foreground, with the Queens Rangers and LD behind. This gives you a good idea of the difference in size of the 6mm Heroics and Ros figures and the '10mm' Pendraken range.

All looking very dark at the moment. When finished and based, and especially with lighter coloured horses, these will all look a lot brighter. Honest. The LD are especially splendid models, full of animation. The troopers posed with pistols and sabres.

Also in the painting queue are some pack horses, and some sheep. The later are suitable 'contributions' collected by the Lights from the local settlers. Could be a game objective.

I nearly forgot. I can't not mention that Spain ran out deserved winners against England on Sunday in the Women's World Cup final. A very frustrating watch for me. However, the women's game has come on in leaps and bounds in just a few years. As well as skill & tactical levels, the physicality has improved enormously, with the players becoming stronger and faster. At least at this level. The games are much more enjoyable to watch, so I'll be tempted to catch more in the future. And in an attempt to find some kind of silver lining to the result, I remembered that we still haven't won a World Cup under the Tories 😉. The thought of seeing that short-trousered little crook undeservedly gloating over a win, was almost worth the defeat.

16 comments:

  1. Your painting desk is quite busy, Chris! Lots happening over a variety of units. I have been trying to build the gumption to tackle Highlanders in 15mm for my SYW/WAS project. Still have some building to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to build up a sizeable batch before I start painting. And this is a mixture of stuff I’d never gotten round to, things I’d originally over ordered and new stuff.
      Painting Highlanders in 15/18mm needs a bit of a run up!
      Chris

      Delete
  2. A nice mix of stuff on the go there Chris and the AWI sculpts are superb. Having seen Clibinarium's latest offerings for the range, I can see another purchase coming once they are released, which will be in time for Xmas all being well!

    Spain did play better than England and deserved to win, but a great to watch, even if very frustrating at times. I agree the Women's game has come on leaps and bounds and is more fun to watch than the Men's game at times, as there seems to be a lots less fouling and histrionics in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, these photos don’t do justice to the figures.
      I agree on the relative lack of histrionics. Having said that, I noticed an increase as the game went on yesterday.
      So Santa’s elves make toys in Middlesbrough now then.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. Spain did start milking it, certainly in injury time, but FIFA appear to have tried to increase the amount of time played, hence the long, long extra time we have been seeing. I just wish they would mike up the refs and stop the clock as per Rugby Union, which would improve things no end IMHO.

      Delete
    3. Been saying that for years about miking refs.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Coming along very nicely indeed. A case of games without frontiers, war without tears.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To coin Churchill, “baw baw* is better than war war”.
      * I think that’s the recognised spelling on your side of the border Alan.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. Interesting mix of bits n pieces there Chris. Your comment on the World Cup made me laugh. Now, do you think a top class women's team could take on a lower level mens one - someone like....randomly off the top of my head.... Grimsby Town FC?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been times when I think the Dagenham Girls Pipers could take on Grimsby Town.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. DGP's? Now that's a blast from the past!

      Delete
  5. Bit of synchronicity going on here Chris, I’ve just chucked a load of Pendraken Scot’s back in the draw in despair. I went for kilted lads and I just can’t get the tartan to look right - even with the most minimal attempt at representation. Hey ho. Got some nice woodland Indians to have a crack at next though so they should be easier. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was being clever going for non-kilted and low on tartan. Then it struck me that ‘in what way do they look like highlanders, other than the hats?’. As for the local chaps, I’d be interested in what paint you get for the skin.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Good looking progress on the figures…..tartan isn’t fun

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are getting a good amount done, Chris! Interesting about the tartan - I would suggest that maybe next time you are at a wedding, look out for the token bloke in a kilt ( there's always one) and see if you can get a picture of him from a distance away - maybe 50 yards or more? Then take note of the impression you get of the tartan from that distance - i suspect it may just look like one colour? Hopefully you can then aim for that general impression when painting kilted highlanders..
    I am wondering if Mr. Starmer will now promise that he won't let England win the football any more than they have under the Tories... :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea David. However, I spend more time at funerals than weddings these days. For some reason, you don't see so many men in kilts at funerals. Is there some sort of frivolous (but non-crossdressing) connotation with the kilt? 😄
      Loved your comment about Sir Keith. Of course if Jeremy had won in 2019 we would have won both the men's and the women's World Cups 😉.

      Delete