Wednesday 23 August 2023

It's a landslide for the left!

Results are in and it's an overwhelming victory for the left option (30mm). There were no votes for 20mm, two votes for candidates that weren't on the ballot and one that declined to vote for either. Every other person said 30mm.

I was leaning that way anyway for practical and aesthetic reasons. All that was holding me back was the thought that I wouldn't be able to get as many cavalry bases as infantry ones in to a head to head melee. Thank you every one who took the trouble to comment. It really helped me make my mind up.

I based the figures, texture, painted and flocked the bases. All that remains is to shake off the excess flock and find some suitable flags. At the moment the grass is looking a bit too lush, but here's how they've turned out.

First 3 bases of 6mm figures are Hanoverians SYW and the rear 2 are Austrians. The 10mm cav look enormous next to them.

The Light Dragoons and Highland Light companies (complete with hat bands but without a tartan pattern). These are really super models - the pack includes 3 different stages of 'loaders' - though I'm not sure about them skirmishing with bayonets fitted.

Queens Rangers with the next phase of the project undercoated behind. Packhorses and sheep!

One final thing. Whilst painting I've mostly been listening to The Life and Times of Frederick the Great podcast that I mentioned recently. Well worth a listen. The presenter/creator is a young student (21ish?) who's doing it on a shoestring. His scripted style may not be to everyone's taste, but he gets over a lot of information and he digs deep into the background and context.  Right back to the TYW and the Great Elector, and even up to Great Britain and the after effects of the Glorious Revolution. The best bits are when he has guests on and it becomes much more conversational.

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That’s why I consulted you all.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. 3mm or 6mm Hanoverians? Either way they look very nice, ditto the 10mm AWI figures. Have you seen the new masters from Clibinarium for more AWI range additions? Superb as one would expect and a few more units will surely be added to the lead pile come Xmas!

    https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,22609.0.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heroics and Rod 6mm. Which emphasises scale creep on the 10mm side.
      I haven’t seen the new masters. I’ll take a look later.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. I thought 6mm, but suspected the 3mm in the caption was a typo. Easily done!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for spotting that Steve. Corrected now.

      Delete
    4. Those new masters are awesome so glad I went 10mm it’s one hell of a range

      Delete
    5. You’re not wrong there Graham.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. That is a headline I am unlikely to read this October, after our general election Chris, indeed, the exact opposite looks increasingly likely! Good decision and nice work on the basing so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn’t seem to apply anywhere Keith.
      Chris

      Delete
  4. I like the post title and am in total agreement , nice to see some close ups of your figures I'm also an impressionistic/ messy painter, just in a larger scale!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I was referring to the picture on the left. 😉
      I think your painting style is far from messy Iain.

      Delete