Wednesday 9 August 2023

No Saxe please, we're British

Yes, we're in Pun City, Arizona again. As Tony Webster might have said. No prizes for guessing where this is going. Naturally after reading a couple of books on the AWI and being part way through a collection of essays on the ECW*, and about to play in my 4th ACW game of the year, I'm planning a ''re-fight' of Fontenoy.**

The Protagonists

Maurice de Saxe/Moritz von Sachsen, or simply 'Mo'.



William Augustus, the Duke of Cumberland. 'Gus'.

I was casting about for a solo game to try out, and briefly considered Middlewich (covered in the first essay of the book below).  Then I skimmed through a mental checklist of Frederick's battles for ones I haven't done (Hochkirch, Liegnitz, Burkersdorf), which require a thoughtful approach to scenario planning that I simply can't be bothered to work through at the moment. A nagging thought popped up at that point. I haven't blooded the redcoats that I painted last year! But which battle?

Hastenbeck was briefly considered (with said redcoats pretending to be Hanoverians). Too sprawling. Minden. Didn't appeal, but I can't think why. Fontenoy forced its way through to the forefront. The space required was compact (coming in at 120 x 120 cm with the Twilight of the Soldier Kings rules). And it's been on the to do list since I bought a copy of Charles Grant's tome on the battle 40 years ago. That's it! A veritable Old School classic Horse and Musket battle, albeit with very non-Old School figures and rules.

First step was to convert an order of battle into 'Twilight' unit terms. The main source I used was the post on Fontenoy in the Obscure Battles blog. I'll check it later against the OOB in James Falkner's book. After painstakingly lying out the composition of all the formations in a spreadsheet, I distilled it down to the following table. I ignored the battalion guns as these are 'factored' into the infantry brigades fighting strength.


Bns/Sqs/Guns

Game units (‘Brigades’)

FRENCH



Swiss

10

2 + 1 base with Garde brigade

Irish

6

1 large (3 bases)

Total French redcoats

16

8 bases total

Gardes Francais

4

1 bde (large with Swiss). 2 Bases blue

Other infantry

48

12 brigades. Inc dismounted dragoons (3 bn worth)

Maison du Roi and Gendarmerie

15

Large squadrons. 2 Brigades.

Other cavalry

100

10 bde of which 3 arrive at 13:00. Excl dismounted dragoons

Artillery

40

4 bde. 1 at Windmill (actually off board), 1 in Fontenoy, 1 in Redoubts d’Eu and 1 in right wing redoubts. Guns in redoubts are light.







PRAGMATIC ARMY



British

20

3 large Guards bns (1 bde), 1 Highland, 16 line/fus

Hanoverian

5

1 bde + 1 bn with British

Total redcoats

25

1 Guards bde, 1 Hanoverian, 3 standard British, 1 large British. Total of 13 bases

Dutch

22

2 Gardes, 1 Grenadier, 19 line. 4 standard, 1 large brigade or 11 bases.

British Cav

26

15 dragoons, 11 Guard/Heavies. 1 large dragoon bde and 1 standard heavy.

Hanoverian Cav

20

12 dragoons, 8 heavies. 1 bde drag, 1 bde heavy

Austrian Cav

11.5

1 large brigade mostly dragoons (inc some light inf and hussars)

Dutch Cav

39

1 bde drag, 3 bde heavy

Artillery

28

2 large bdes (1 Brit, 1 Dutch)

Amongst the stuff I need to look at is how I deal with the redoubts. There were five in total, each with a handful of light guns and a total of about 4 battalions. There are insufficient numbers of pieces (and infantry) in any one redoubt to treat as 'brigades' in Twilight of the Soldier Kings terms. I could look at making these all 'tiny' units (i.e. they suffer deductions in combat). If I simply reduce the number of redoubts (like Charles Grant did), then I would create more open space in the French lines which makes it slightly easier for the allies.

The next thing would be to decide on troop and general ratings and how many subordinate commanders to allocate to each side. Whilst he came up with a great position in the first place, Saxe was relatively immobile, so should I give him a higher rating than Cumberland on the day? Most units will be standard class with the exception of the Guards brigades on both sides. British might be given a higher fire rating than the French, but otherwise the same class as the French. I don't think there's any reason for making the Swiss or Irish better than the French line. The book I recently read on the Irish Brigade tended towards a revisionist approach on the Irish. If I treat it as one Large Brigade it will be much more resilient anyway. The same with the Dutch. There doesn't seem to be anything which suggest they should be downgraded as units. The problem (despite the Anglocentric historiographical tradition) seems to rest more with the leadership at the top level. If I remember Falkner correctly, the fault behind the Dutch 'underperformance' rests with a lack of co-ordination between their wing and the British.

Before all this though, I have a feeling I might not have enough redcoats. For both sides. I'll need to do a physical count of what's in the boxes. I have about a brigade's worth of painted, but unbased French, and two brigade's of totally unpainted infantry in the lead pile. So more than enough for any shortfall.

Oh, there'll be a fair amount of 'standing in for' in this. Austrians will stand in for the Dutch and Hanoverian cavalry and Prussians will be acting as the Dutch infantry. I've been toying around with the idea of building a Dutch army having both volumes of For Orange and the States handy. But I'm practising 'fiscal rectitude' for the time-being.



* No Sex Please, We're British was a comedic play and film from the early 70s.

** In fairness, I did devour THE ARMY OF GEORGE II 1727-1760, The Soldiers who Forged an Empire and MORE FURIES THAN MEN, The Irish Brigade in the Service of France 1690-1792 fairly recently too.

** NEW APPROACHES TO THE MILITARY HISTORY OF ENGLISH CIVIL WAR Proceedings of the First Helion & Company. ‘Century of the Soldier’ Conference. Edited by Ismini Pells.

19 comments:

  1. I look forward to Wednesday’s ACW rematch as well. Fontenoy is a good choice. One I have read into and considered as a game but I do not have the proper figures painted. The battle looks huge. Whose uniform would the Dutch most resemble if I planned to paint a Dutch army? Perhaps I should buy this book?

    After the current run of Gettysburg games plays out and a brief diversion into 28mm lighter Basic Impetvs games, I think WAS/SYW should come back out on my table. I need to start looking for scenarios.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dutch infantry were mostly blue and the cavalry mostly light grey I believe (not able to check at the mo).
      Chris

      Delete
    2. But whose uniform cut do they most resemble? French? Prussian? Austrian? British?

      Delete
    3. Definitely not Prussian. For Orange and the States keeps referring to‘Swedish style cuffs’ whatever they are. The cut looks more generous than the Prussians’. Beyond that I couldn’t say as I never really bother at the scale I paint!
      I’ll do an update later with main colours.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Super! - said Jimmy. Lol. Wonder how many will get the Perrin reference? Some ambitious stuff going on in the background by the sound of things matey. Should keep you busy for a while. Also; as my granny used to say, « If your going to do fiscal rectitude make sure you use lube ».

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your granny must have been prone to Spoonerisms. 😆
      Chris

      Delete
  3. It's worth mentioning there's a French book on the battle; I ended up buying the French edition before the English version was published.....doh!
    Details here - I'm sure it's available elsewhere:

    https://www.casematepublishing.co.uk/distributed-publishers/histoire-et-collections/fontenoy.html

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Neil. That book is at a good price but delivery in 6-8 weeks so like 1/2 of the Gendarmerie, it will be too late for the battle. It’ll be good to get a French perspective though.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. I have that one and it is a good reference.

      Delete
  4. Will be watching your progress on this with interest Chris. Fiscal rectitude does not sound like much fun and seems totally inappropriate for a wargamer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole point of fiscal rectitude is not to have fun. It’s best said in Gordon Brown’s voice to get the full Calvinist aura. 😁
      Chris

      Delete
  5. I didn't get where I am today by practicing fiscal rectitude! Sorry CJ but I'm currently with you on this front, sound like a fun game shaping up, are you only allowed five substitutions?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We’re not one of those dreadful firms where people quote sitcom catchlines. Goodbye Reggie!

      You’ve got me there on the number of substitutions Iain. If you mean the EFL then I think the answer is yes. 5 from 7 on the bench.
      Chris

      Delete
    2. I was wondering if you were applying it to your armies, Prussian for Dutch infantry, Austrian for Dutch cavalry and Hanoverian cavalry, Brits for Hanoverian infantry, I thought you were getting dangerously close to the limit!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. Ha ha! No fear. At this scale the differences will be hard to spot.

      Delete
  6. This looks like it will be very interesting! Lots of stuff to think about, which is good, of course. I was wondering if the redoubts could be simulated by simply counting any French unit in the relevant area as 'entrenched' or whatever, giving them bonuses for being in cover. If forced to retreat from the initial position, or if advancing out of it, they would then lose that cover bonus. Anyway, I look forward to seeing how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got plenty of pieces to fashion the redoubts from. I found the gabioned emplacements I made a few years ago (and forgot about). But you're right. I'll designate an area (at least for the right flank redoubts which are quite close together.

      Delete
  7. Mo & Gus? I don't think I can ever read about either without thinking of them being called thus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toyed with 'Gussie' for a while but I couldn't see Cumberland as an upper class twit (per Bertie Wooster's friend Gussie Fink-Nottle).

      Delete