Friday 7 October 2022

The Minden Regiments

The other day I got a shift on and started painting the new H&R delivery. I undercoated enough figures for over a dozen brigades, and did faces and coats on the British. Tonight I ploughed on and finished two bases of line infantry (a brigade) and two bases of grenadiers. One base of grenadiers I did as the 23rd Foot or Royal Welch Fusileers, who wore grenadier style mitres. I based the line infantry on the 12th Foot (later the Suffolk Regiment). Both the 23rd and 12th were at Minden and Fontenoy, so that's handy and I have nostalgic reasons for doing these regiments. Many years ago, my late sister had a holiday in Wales with her husband and brought me back a guidebook from the regimental museum of the Royal Welch Fusileers. Round about the same time I found some old Look and Learn magazines, one of which featured the 23rd and the other the 12th, referencing the Battle of Minden. The full page colour pictures were of the SYW uniforms.

So here they are based, and with a coating of sand, ready for painting and flocking when the PVA has dried. Whilst there were six British foot regiments at Minden (each 1 battalion strong),  four of them, including the 12th, had yellow facings, cuffs and turnbacks. Easily enough to be a whole brigade. The base of grenadiers also have yellow facings etc, notionally being the detached companies from the foot regiments.





I've also included some pictures below of some H&R infantry almost fresh out of the packet. The only thing I'd done at that stage was to file off the flash on the bottom of their bases. I thought these might be of interest for those not familiar with these models. I think you get a good idea of the quality of these tiny models.





These are 6 packs of Austrian infantry marching. In each pack you get 9 ‘stands’ of 5 marching infantrymen, two ensigns, 2 drummers, 2 NCOs, 2 officers on foot, 1 mounted officer and 1 pioneer (in grenadier bearskin). Prussian infantry are the same but the pioneer has a mitre. 

These models in marching are easier to prepare and base than other poses (advancing with bayonets forward, firing and all cavalry) because they come in rows side by side. the other types come in stands of 5 but one behind the other. Much more fiddly! Naturally I forgot this when I made my order. Of course most of the Brits that I’m painting are the firing pose. 

If you are going down this route learn from my mistakes!

14 comments:

  1. I love H&R, not only for nostalgia but because they look human. All mine are gone now, their final victory being over my eyesight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just noticed that in that first shot they look slightly broad in the beam. Must be the angle.
      I like that phrase: "their final victory being over my eyesight!" 😁

      Delete
  2. Interesting to see them fresh out of the packet. I had a bad batch of H&R figures a few years ago (colonial British infantry - with very very thick bases) and have never considered the company since. These look sweet so it might be worth giving H&R another try in the future. Kudos for standing them all up for the photo too! That would have taken me all day and a lot of swearing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably a sign that I should get out more!

      Delete
  3. Chris, you are becoming a regular painting machine. Keep at it! British separated their grenadiers into converged grenadier battalions or kept them integrated into the parent battalion? And Hanoverians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The British and Hanoverians converged their grenadiers into separate battalions. In fact their German auxiliaries did too.
      Expect another 3 brigades to roll out tomorrow. Maybe more.

      Delete
  4. The figures certainly have a lot going for them and look good enough enmass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cost and space are important factors for me too.

      Delete
  5. they do look nice - and the basic figures are cetrtainly good! Nice to see the Suffolks getting mustered, hope they do well in action.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve got bad news for you. I’m working on the 11th Foot too. 😁Should spur each other on with a bit of East Anglian rivalry.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Excellent work Chris and I do like H&R figures. For my 10mm stuff, I've mainly gone for marching poses now, as I found the firing and loading poses took longer to paint and base. Painting paused here for over a week now due to real life parent carer stuff getting in the way. Hopefully back at the table soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope things work out well for you on the real life front Steve.
      You’re right about the painting too. Especially if you paint a mixed strip of firing/loading. Keep having to adjust angle.
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Great work on some great figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. The figures are great. The painting good enough at gaming distance.
      Chris/Nundanket

      Delete