Saturday 19 March 2022

Back to gaming

After a lot of delays I got the table set up. Might play the game this evening. Maybe tomorrow.


Overview

The map I used - taken from the excellent Combat Studies Institute Press US Army Combined Arms Center's Staff Ride Handbook


Satellite map of the area, showing how wooded and hilly it is even today. I need more trees and hills!



The Home Team

2nd New Hampshire (Titcomb)

Warners

11th Massachusetts (Francis)
American skirmish line guarding their left


The Visitors

You'll notice that my Brits are kitted out more for the Southern theatre than the North, but hey.... no excuses really. It's what I've got.

24th Foot

British Light battalion

The British combined grenadier battalion under Acland is on a flank march to the right and should appear to the left of Warners. I'll dice for when they can enter. The German Jäger and grenadiers will appear on the left. 

Last but not least, the away team's manager, Simon Fraser, shows his boys the way.

'Props', as the youngsters say, to Steve at Sound Officers Call for the inspiration and the scenario. I've taken liberties with the numbers of bases. For the 3 American line infantry and 3 British battalions I've used 8 bases each, simply because there's so much space. I've followed Steve's recommendations for the skirmishers, jägers and German grenadiers.


Steve's scenario can be found here: https://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2022/01/a-hubbardton-scenario-for-live-free-or.html

Steve references the Staff Ride Handbook in his blog. It's well worth a read for the whole of the Saratoga campaign. https://www.armyupress.army.mil/portals/7/educational-services/staff-rides/staff-ride-handbook-saratoga-campaign.pdf

13 comments:

  1. Looks good! One can never see too many Hubbardton battles. It will be enjoyable to gaming in your new game room. Will this be a solo game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solo I’m afraid. Loose Files and American Scramble again.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you getting a game on the table and AWI is a good era too. Very small troops...are they fifteens or even smaller? They certainly allow plenty of room for manoeuvre on your table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10mm. So plenty of room. Each of those units in the middle are 32 rank & file plus command stand.

      Delete
    2. Oh right...I did think they appeared smaller than 15mm. They look great!

      Delete
  3. I don't really know that much about the AWI battles. So this is a nice diversion. Waiting for the full AAR with bated breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I. It’s a side interest for me after the SYW and ECW.

      Will probably have the AAR up tomorrow evening.

      Delete
  4. Excellent, sir! Your troops look stunning, your table looks outstanding, and I absolutely cannot wait to see how the fight goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve. You’re too kind. The models themselves are great, with well defined detail. The paint job is fairly slapdash.

      Delete
  5. A nice scenario for sure. My previous comments on what rules you're using has now been answered! The price of being away a few days and catching up on posts in reverse order as it were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you’re feeling good after your op Steve.

      Delete
  6. Good for you - my that's a big one ( table, that is..). The combination of smaller figures with large table looks to allow some proper battlefield manoeuvering. The figures look good, perhaps a nice compromise between 15, and 6mm.
    Now I need to catch up with the AAR - looks like there are two already, you are really going for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not the size that counts, but how you use it. Plenty of room for manoeuvre. Almost too much in this case. I’d have spent hours weaving left and right if I hadn’t set a maximum number of turns. But this represents just a small slice of the area where the action occurred, so they didn’t spend much time finessing their manoeuvres.

      Both games took me two hours, including a reset.

      Delete