Tuesday 9 February 2021

'We're going to a dance....'

The reinforcements I ordered from Pendraken arrived on Monday. I spent the late evening preparing them for undercoating. Fortunately I bought a new can of acrylic spray paint for the undercoating. I'm going to need a lot.

First up, for the Continuation War:

  • A dozen German cyclists, to paint up as Finns* - bases worth (a base equals a squad in my rules). They're helmeted so I might have a go at converting a few to caps.
  • 3 Panzerschreck teams (again to be Finns)
  • 10 Soviet riflemen in pilotka caps
  • 10 Soviet riflemen in helmets - with the pilots chaps and a few odds and sods, 8 bases
  • 1 x T34 85
  • 1 x T34 76 (I slipped up as I meant to order 2)
  • 10 Soviet tank riders
  • 1 Stug (or 'Sturmi' in Finnish parlance)

Hitherto I've just had infantry on the table (with imaginary artillery and air support) so AFVs will be a new venture for me.


Then going back in time to the American War of Independence:

  • 30 Continental infantry - to make up a regiment of 8 companies of 4
  • 30 militia - another regiment
I already have command figures for both plus I'll pad out the ranks with odd figures.
  • 15 British light dragoons (inc 3 command figures) - about 6 troops worth


Finally the English Civil War:

  • 3 bases worth of pike (12 each)
  • 3 bases worth of musketeers (12 each)
  • 3 bases worth of dismounted dragoons (8 each)

Again, I already had command figures, 1/2 dozen pike and I assigned 6 of the dragoons to the musketeers (they come in packs of 30). Some of the command figures come from the AWI Continental and Militia command sets (its all a question of hats at this scale**) to give a bit more variety from the rest of my units.

This will bring my ECW foot up to 19 battalia, which is a temptingly odd number. Tempting because I might try find a way to stretch that to 20 by doing something creative with spare standard bearers and musketeers and judicious thinning out of ranks. No reason why I need 20 units, or 19 for that matter. But I got to 19 because I had 16 painted pike blocks, plus 1/2 a unit's worth of pikemen. To get the other half I needed to order another pack, sufficient for 2.5 units so I thought I might as well order enough extra musketeers. But I have a few musketeers left over due to using some American 'sergeants' in 'non-tricorned' hats, and lots of drummers, spare standard bearers and officers. I also have lots of spare WWII figures which might be suitable for conversion. Food for thought. Anyway, this is one way in which wargames armies grow subject to their own logic or internal dynamics.***


The aim is to complete the AWI Americans in a couple of days so they can have a proper go at the remaining Brits from the last game. I also want to try out the Neil Thomas Intro to Wargaming, WWII rules soon as they look to be my level of complexity. Then, notwithstanding my intention to organise a campaign, I have a hankering to stage a big battle with my ECW lads. All of them.

In case you're wondering, I do have enough spare Ferrero Rocher boxes to store the finished articles in. Though I probably need some more magnetic paper.

* Years ago I had a DVD of another Finnish war film (can't remember the name, but not Tuntematon Sotilas, Talvisota, or Tali-Ihantala) set during the Continuation War, which featured cycle mounted units ploughing deep into eastern Karelia in 1941.

** The fellows in question have broad-brimmed hats and are holding half-pikes that look a bit officers' spontoons. There's also a halberd-bearing sergeant - I had to trim away his tricorn though, but he was too good not to use for the ECW.

*** I might well have a high ratio of foot to horse now - better not check 😉


24 comments:

  1. That'll keep you busy for a while. I thought you already had some Soviet armour. Do the AWI figures fit with the ECW size-wise?

    Tony S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do but they’re early war models. I never got round to tackling the Winter War because of the trees - I have plenty of conifers and material for making lots more. I haven’t figured out how to make deciduous trees without leaves in this scale.
      The AWI and ECW are close enough in size and I can get away with the odd big fellah in a unit.

      Delete
    2. Your T-28 (Postivaunu :)) and T-26 you have should be fine for late war Finns. Multicore thin copper wire works well when twisted together (bit of a faff though) and there are those plastic armatures from Woodlands Scenics that might look ok "dans le nu". Rosemary twigs should work well too - they're amazingly strong.


      Tony S

      Delete
    3. Cheers for that Tony. I’ve still got some of those plastic armatures somewhere. Might have enough small ones.
      I didn’t know T28s were called Postal Vans! Expect that was because their guns were only good enough to deliver messages to the Neighbours. Might make for some interesting scenarios.

      Delete
  2. Excellent recruits, just what you need to encourage you. Looking forward to seeing them and hearing of your games. Can you tell us a little more about your ww2 rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. They’re very much back of a postcard - actually 1 side of A4. Very, very simple and gloss over all the technical differences in weaponry. Lots of holes in them.
      Bases are infantry sections, Heavy weapons sections, HQ sections (‘Leaders’), or single vehicles.
      All actions depend on the expenditure of Leader Points.
      Aircraft and artillery are off-table: have to estimate target location (Old Skool!)
      Soviets can become unpinned easily if they have a Commissar/NKVD base close, but at the risk of being wiped out by the fire that pinned them in the first place!
      I’ll try to post them on the blog later.

      Delete
    2. That would be most interesting.

      Delete
  3. Some nice projects there and look forward to seeing them progress. Mine tend to stop and start with alarming regularity as my butterfly nature means I want to flit on ot another project. I'm trying to maintain focus...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there’s 3 on the go just here, and that doesn’t include the stalled ECW campaign and even more stalled SYW one!
      I’ve got enough variety on the go to keep me interested and enough stuff for a game in each of 4/5 periods. I suppose that could be considered flitting between one and another.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like decent reinforcements! Of course you need more horse if you have that many battalias!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of great stuff to look forward to here, sir! Cant wait! NT WW2, ECW, and AWI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither. I might have been optimistic with my parents bring schedule as when I sprayed the undercoat on this morning outside, I hadn’t counted on the effect of the cold weather. It’s drying very slowly!

      Delete
    2. That should be ‘painting’ not ‘parents bring’ !!!

      Delete
  6. A variety of projects and periods to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to God you’re not eating all those Ferraro Roche (I’ve stopped fighting spellchecker - you know what I mean). Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t worry. I’m still the slimline version of me following last Summer’s fasting. Bar sharing in a box I bought the mem for our anniversary (today!), I haven’t had any for several months. Word got round that I collect the boxes - even my daughter’s work colleagues - so I’ve been given plenty of empties.

      Delete
  8. looking forward to seeing these with a coat of paint and in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had their brethren in several games so far. Couldn’t resist getting more. I really did NEED extra AWI.

      Delete
  9. Three big projects on the go at once; a man after my own heart!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots and lots of nice stuff to go at there 👍 you are going to be busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’ll keep me out of the pub for a while. Oh wait ....

      Delete
  11. A fine variety of projects to work on!

    ReplyDelete