Wednesday 18 December 2019

Which battle?

OK. It’s been a few weeks since my last game (Surbiton, 1648). I don’t know why I feel the need to add the year. It’s not as if there were other battles at this Suburb of sitcom fame.

Incidentally Norbiton station stood in for ‘Climthorpe’ railway station in the Goode Life’s near contemporary comedy series, the Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Norbiton is of course the northern counterpart to Surbiton, both being suburbs of Kingston-upon-Thames. “I didn’t get where I am today without” recognising local railway stations on TV programmes when I saw them. Which admittedly isn’t a great boast in either respect.

I mentioned recently that I may dig out my copy of WRG 1685-1845 and play a game using my SYW figures. But which battle? My table has limited depth so, if I do a ‘refight’ a wide, narrow field would probably make more sense. Kolin again*? Or maybe, to stretch the point, Blenheim? I will play the game using the ground scale for 25mm figures from the rules. This will mean that the miniature battle will be a third or a quarter the size of what it historically was, with a similarly reduced number of units.

This will help distract me from worrying about the Poundland Derby on Saturday at Blundell Park. Hopefully I will get a warm nostalgic glow, remembering happier times in that benighted land. You know before the people were bashed around the head with a club and meekly asked for more of the same treatment.

I’d welcome any suggestions for battles to game. Real or imaginary. It doesn’t have to be SYW even if the figures are. Over to you dear reader.

* that would make it the 4th time in all

2 comments:

  1. "The most potent weapon in the hands of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed." - Steve Biko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super, smashing, great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete