The algorithm on YouTube throws up some interesting videos now and again. Tonight I came across the 2019 Latvian film "The Rifleman" based on the 1934 novel "Blizzard of Souls" by the Latvian writer Aleksandrs Grīns. The story concerns a young Latvian volunteer who joined the Imperial Russian army in the First World War, and is based on Grīns' own experiences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAOBRidir_M
It was an engaging film, well shot and well acted, and the Great War scenes were excellent. However I felt the film was weaker when it concerned the outbreak of the Russian Revolution and the transitions between that, the Russian Civil War and the Latvian War of Independence. But overall it is worth watching. It would be interesting to read but I cannot see any English translations available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_Souls_(film)
Grīns was rounded up after the Soviet invasion and occupation of Latvia in 1940 and shot in December 1941.
No comments:
Post a Comment