Sunday, 20 September 2026

Autumn Cleaning and a Bit of Nostalgia

Today was B-Day. Book Day. The day when I was finally going to get around to sorting out my bookcase in the Kriegskabin. The bookcase was full and certain sections were overflowing as I'd added to the collection since I first installed the bookcase in the cabin five years ago. As well as books (just military history, wargames books and wargames rules) the case contained board(war)games, various boxes of paints modelling supplies and all sorts of accoutrements for the hobby, plus some old football fanzines. It was in serious need of rationalisation and a good tidy up.

Then I had the bright idea of sorting out my books in the house. That led inevitably to interest from the Margravina who then took a hand sorting out her books. Various other items got swept up in the process (adding to the Old Tech Drawer of Terror). At the end of the process we had three large baskets of books for disposal...then our daughter added to the pile.

By this time my interest in a seasonal clear-out of the bookcase in the Kriegskabin was waning. After a break I collected stray 'mil.hist' books which had infiltrated strategic areas of the house emptied the shelves in the cabin. I got as far as sorting the books into piles by subject matter ready for the Grand Restack. That will have to wait for another day. As will a few books that I have not read at all yet.

In amongst the books were several pieces of paper, most destined for the recycling bin, but some useful bits put in those plastic wallet thingies for safe keeping. I also came across a programme from Salute 1987 which from memory was in a rather crowded Kensington Town Hall. How things have changed since then.
Unsorted piles. Not looking forward to sorting this lot.

More stuff on the desk - the boxes just off to the left contain modelling supplies.



Wonder how many of those clubs are still in existence?

I never got to Rye Stamp & Hobby Shop (don't know why, as my train to work in those days used to stop at Peckham Rye). I certainly went to Navwar - that was a trick from my corner of SE London.

Then finally I began to impose some sort of order on the books. Next I'll have to decide what order I want to put the books in on the shelves, adjust some of the shelf heights, how much space to leave between collections etc. Then what to do with the other boxes. The little pile bottom left is for disposal.* There might be more if I take a ruthless view on some of the ones I'm unlikely to read or consult again.

* This includes British Grenadier and Black Eagles rules, plus some others, and the Leigh Fermor book if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment