Saturday 19 October 2024

Més que un exècit - or Hannibal's Army Are on Their Way

Barca's lads are taking shape. I've painted 6 units (5 based, but not 'textured') with 4 to go. The unpainted units include 5 elephants, Spanish cavalry, Numidian cavalry and Celtic swordsmen. I'm going to enjoy painting the plaid trousers!

Colour choices are more slapdash than usual because I have very limited knowledge of the period. So if everything looks like something out of a sword and sandal epic, I make no apologies.


The heavies: Libyan Spearmen and Liby-Phoenecian Phalangites. What I like about these models is I can use them as hoplites.



Spanish Scutari & cavalry with spears. The Scutari came with the heavier looking guys at the front (also swordsmen) so I figured they would be in the front, with the guys with small round shields (targes?) behind in looser formation ready to nip in to stick it to any unwary Romans.

A better view of the cavalry


Last but not least Balearic Trance Slingers. They're not all grey-haired old boys, they're meant to have some sort of fur caps (in my imagination).

After all the excesses of the SYW acquisitions, 10 units seems trifling.

2 comments:

  1. These bases look great, Chris! Once finished, perhaps give them a trial run-out with Commands & Colors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon. I was planning on Basic Impetus (gridded). I might dig out one of your scenarios.
      These fellahs have been sat in a box for months. Ironically it took me ordering troops from another period to make me pull my finger out.
      Chris

      Delete