Thursday 10 October 2024

First Dutch to muster

A unit made up of odds and sods. A line of H&R Austrian musketeers and an assortment of pike wielding figures from Irregular (mostly 1690-1721 I think). The pikemen have had their weapons cut to size. For uniforms I read the Orange and the States vol I, the SYWA page shared by Neil Patterson the other day, and the Obscure Battles article on Fontenoy. My conclusion was that the vast majority of Dutch infantry were in blue coats by this period. I've opted for a medium blue tone, though I might vary the shade with different units to add a bit of variety.

Flags were a bit harder to find, so I've based these on ones shown in a colour plate for a unit in the WSS period. Don't look too closely! The unit painted doesn't represent anything in particular - given the preponderance of red facings in the units at Fontenoy and the difficulty of showing regimentals on 6mm figures, it would probably be a pointless distinction.

Mystery Dutch unit, with even more mysterious infantry and cavalry undercoated and 'fleshed' in the background.

Given the loss of my former supply of storage boxes (Ferrero Rocher changed the design which makes them smaller and less secure to stack) I need to find an alternative solution. I might decant some of the 10mm figures or maybe even my 6mm Napoleonics, as I'll need another 3 boxes to accommodate the 60 bases worth on order.  One each for the Dutch, Reichsarmee, and Hesso-Brunswick forces. Stocks of bases are sufficient for this lot, but it looks like I'm short for the Carthaginians if I ever get round to painting them. Could do with some more flock and magnetic bases too, so out with the order pad again.

No comments:

Post a Comment