Monday 5 June 2023

New reading material

It’s been a long time since my last post. No gaming or painting activity recently, though I am joining a remote game hosted by the ever calm and collected Jonathan Freitag of the Palouse Wargaming Journal blog. This will be a multiplayer ACW game in which I’ll be ‘leading’ the US army. The selection method was the old trick whereby the Sarge calls for volunteers to take one step forward, and the whole squad, except the sap, takes one step back.

Wargaming reading has been limited to blogs. Recently I started Katja Hoyer’s history of the DDR, Beyond the Wall, but that got interrupted and I haven’t got back to it. Then last week I joined one of Helion’s virtual book launches and was inspired to place an order. Before I did d i checked Paul Meekins’ site and found the book discounted, plus four others that I’ve been thinking about. See below.



The Pattern was the subject of the book launch, and These Distinguished Corps of one I attended a couple of years ago. Between Scylla and Charybdis Part II is necessary if I am to do a Saxon AWS army (I have Part I). The last two are ‘needed’ as background reading for the British and French AWS/SYW armies I built up last year.

The service from Meekins was excellent I have to say and the order arrived promptly and cheaply. The books were well packed, each covered in cellophane, inside a cardboard pack, then wrapped in bubble wrap and finally in a cardboard box. Possibly a little too well wrapped. Here’s one happy customer. And all at a sizeable discount off the cover price.

I haven’t had a chance to read any of them yet, due to a quick overnight trip to the South West, taking Offspring #4 to a university open day. There’ll be several more trips like this over the coming weeks and months, as Offspring #3 is also at the same stage (being #3 by mere minutes) So more Saturdays lost to gaming. Today was out for other reasons. Of that, possibly more anon.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, I recall the taking of the girls to university open days or rather the accompanying whilst Jan drove, memories indeed.
    A splendid selection of reading material. I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy them.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book on George II's army looks particularly good from my brief glance at it. The two AWI ones are well researched too. Looking forward to getting in to them.

      Delete
  2. Luckily Uni open days are a thing of the past for us, but we did spend a nice weekend in Edinburgh, which was good. So many of the Helion books are available for a decent discount with a bit of searching. Personally I always prefer a paperback to a hardback, which would possibly reduce prices even further. I hope they provide good reads as the early books were rather hit and miss affairs:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the quality of Helion books. I dissed the other volume of the Saxon army book above, and have no doubt this volume is any better.

      Delete
  3. Money well spent mate. Research is half the fun of the hobby for me and clearly you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of 'research' as 'fun' but now I come to think of it, 'research' is what I call reading, and reading can be fun. ;-)

      Delete
  4. A great selection of books - personally, I have shied away from Helion so far - they seem expensive to me - but thanks for the Meekins tip - never heard of them but I had a look and as you implied, they seem to do lots of good prices - of course, the catch for me may be in postage to New Zealand.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don’t know how lucky we are when it comes to reasonably accessible hobby stuff here in Blighty. Mind you, I’m sure NZ has ample compensations.
      Chris

      Delete