Monday 8 May 2023

Walks around London: Passport not required

In March I showed some photos from a lunchtime walk from work in the Chelsea area. Last week I took another walk, this time in Pimlico. There was less to see of obvious historical merit, but plenty to make me stop and look and snap away.


Pimlico is an area close to central London, south and just upstream of Westminster. Famously it was the setting for the Ealing comedy Passport to Pimlico - both a period peace of a lost age of London and England, and a civic instruction manual. Historical a mixed area socially, and much more working class in my lifetime. Very gentrified now. Much of the area seemed quiet and free of traffic. Rather strange being so close to the centre. It must make it very livable.

I started at the northern end of Chelsea Bridge and walked downstream along Grosvenor Road (middle, bottom section of the above map).

First stop just past the bridge was at these sidings south of Victoria Station.

Looking back south at Battersea Power Station

Flats on Lupus Street, where I turned away from the river. Mid-20th century social housing?

Still on Lupus St was this wedge shaped residential block. Early Victorian/Regency?

A quick glance up Turpentine Lane shows a side view of what I think might be one of the Peabody Trust blocks (left). I say this because further to the left (i.e. rear of this) is Peabody Avenue.

St Gabriel's Church, viewed from Sussex St(?)

I forgot to note the road here, possibly off Belgrave Road. I was struck by the contrasting styles in these residential blocks.

At the appropriately named St George's Square, the Embassy of Georgia.


Also on St. George's Square, the inappropriately named St Saviour's Church. Actually the 'square' itself is a formed by a long rectangle with a triangular shape at one end.

Lithuanian embassy. Wonder if other former Soviet Republics' embassies are around her.

MI6 building viewed from across Vauxhall Bridge

I used to like passing this development on my journeys to Waterloo station on the railway (the other side of the buildings) because I thought the roof shapes looked like early monoplanes. This was the first of the big builds in this part of London (10-15 years ago?) but now there are many more high rise buildings in the area with more under construction. Buildings that looked they had views when first constructed a few years ago, are now in the shadows of neighbouring blocks. The new US Embassy is in this part of town - quite a departure from the traditional area - but not that far. Quite close to MI6!

And yet more development right by Vauxhall Bridge. Land reclamation?

I'll leave the walk there as I jumped on a bus back to the office from Vauxhall Bus Station.

15 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your walk and photos. Didn’t know you were really a Burgundian.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There’s a little bit of Burgundian in all of us wargamers I think.
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tour. It was nice revisiting places known from my spotty youth. I always loved getting the Red Rover bus pass and just seeing where the buses took me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome Richard. Now I have a Freedom Pass I take buses more frequently. I plan to do tours when I retire (whenever that will be!)
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Always interesting, thanks. In the 90s I worked at Rochester Row, close to Pimlico, hence wandered about and went to pubs etc there I think it has always been a bit socially mixed and slightly 'raffish' . You are making good use of your 'office' days .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment David. I had to look up Rochester Row. I see it is close to Westminster Cathedral (a striking building) and not far from Gillingham Street where there used to be a model shop (Minifigs?) until the 80s or 90s. Strangely I can't find any street around there named Chatham and complete the Medway Towns set!

      Delete
  4. I remember "Passport to Pimlici" being on TV in my youth, a great Ealing Comedy it was too! Another interesting perambulation around the metropolis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that film. It gets wheeled out every now and again on Freeview.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy your lunchtime walks, Chris. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The big challenge is finding the time. But it’s important mentally to get away from the desk, so expect more in the future.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Thanks Chris for an entertaining and interesting view of a small part of London. I love the MI6 building - it looks the part 😊 a bit ominous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly gives of a ‘secret police HQ’ vibe doesn’t it? It was partly destroyed in a James Bond film (can’t remember which one).
      Chris

      Delete
  7. Nice to see a few images from Pimlico, which like so much of London, has changed beyond all recognition since I worked there in the late 1980's. Some wonderful buildings and mix of architectural styles too, which is nice to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember it from the early 90s as a bit grimier, though I only went there once or twice so I may be mistaken. You don’t get so many diesel buses and taxis these days, so that might help.
      Chris

      Delete