Saturday 11 February 2023

AWS campaign changes


At New Year I ran a solo campaign based on the Wars of the Austrian Succession in Europe. After I finished I dug out the board game Maria for some inspiration for tweaks to the rules. I was generally happy with the way the game worked but felt there cold be a little more 'flavour'. 

I made a couple of notes but never got to write them up. So before I forget them completely I thought I'd jot them down here. As I said above, the inspiration came from Maria, so credit is due to the creator of that game.


Supply
Troops must able to draw an uninterrupted line back to a friendly city/city controlled by that side. Lose 1 point per base per turn where this isn't the case.

Hussars
Austria can deploy a 'hussar' base to represent its advantage in the Petit Guerre. This can be place on any hex inside the Austrian Empire to interdict enemy supply chains. The enemy must redeploy one base to counteract the hussars or suffer the attrition referred to in the Supply rule.

Russia
Dice for political machinations in Russia. On a certain dice role Prussia must withdraw one base to guard East Prussia.

Colonies
France and Spain have to dice to see if they send a base to the colonies to counteract British predations.

Subsidies
Major powers (except Prussia) may subsidise (allocate resources) to a friendly minor power (reduce the major power's resources proportionately)
Britain may also subsidise Austria by n bases without impacting its own resources, from Spring 1743 onwards.

12 comments:

  1. Notes to Self is a good use of blog ink. Do you plan to return to this post and maintain it as a Living Document on your campaigning thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do intend to return to it at a later date, and merge it into a rule set.
      I have vague ideas about adapting it to the SYW (more of a scenario change than anything fundamental) and also the ECW (a bigger stretch).
      Chris

      Delete
  2. Some interesting tweeks there Chris, hope to see the campaign again some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. It might be a while. Possibly Easter when we’ve got another long weekend.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. No one can say you lack ambition mate. Very interested to see you use this campaign system for the ECW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it can cope with 8 factions the ECW ought to be a piece of p…… Seriously it will need a major rethink.
      Actually, that’s just given me an idea. Instead of the traditional two sides, some of the commanders can be rivals with their so-called comrades. Waller and Essex are the classic case. Hmmm!

      Delete
  4. Some nice notes there Chris and some of these I could easily use for some future simple 18thC campaigns, as and when time permits...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Good to know they are of wider interest. I plan to put them together with the original rules, and the ‘tools’ I use to help keep the track of the game and have them as a download.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Very interesting notes and a good use of your blog, if you're like me you'd have written it down, lost it and spent a day looking for it down the line!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I used a draft post to note the original thoughts I had and then came back to them. I’ve lost too many post-it notes over the years!
      Chris

      Delete
  6. It's taken me awhile to get here. Apologies. But I'm glad to have bumped into this post. I'm absolutely intrigued and will now take time to go through the previous ones on this theme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t apologise Richard. I’m grateful that you got here at all
      Chris

      Delete